Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Screen Width in IE  (Read 4384 times)

Offline BeeAttitude

• New Bee
Screen Width in IE
« on: March 31, 2006, 07:28:40 am »
I recently found this beemaster site.  I'm having trouble viewing the site in my Internet Explorer 6 browser.  The problem is that I need to scroll right to read the ends of the lines.  When browsing nearly every other site I visit on the internet, I only have to scroll down.  Any settings I can change other than my screen resolution?  Current screen resolution is 800x600.  The problem can be fixed if I change to 1024x768 resolution, but then I need to wear my glasses which I prefer not to do 8)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Screen Width in IE
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
Hi,

I just switched my laptop to 800x600 and I can see the whole post without scrolling right.  I guess if your monitor is small enough, it might not fit, but if it works for other sites that shouldn't be it.  My laptop is 15.1".

Do you have to scroll for every post or just some.   If any response in a series of post has a picture or url link that is wider than your window, you will have to scroll.  I even see this at 1024x768 from time to time with huge pictures or long urls.  I guess it would be more often with 800x600.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Screen Width in IE
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2006, 11:31:50 pm »
I noticed the same problem when I had a small photo of me next to the descriptive in my signature, and it caused EVERY page to need left/right scrolling.

There are a few Avatars too which cause this problem - I may need to shorten the width a little to make the scrolling issue resolve. But this is a quirk in Explorer, since Netscape, Fire Fox and Mozilla wrap properly. I even tried different TEXT sizes and none eliminated the Explorer problem here.

So I took my photo off (it wasn't a great one anyways - lol) but I'll redo my signature image to be smaller, have a photo and a bio - something that isn't as big, I'd hate to start a trend WHICH I see in many forums. Some have unimaginable huge signature images which cause you to scroll endlessly to get through a handful of posts. I just can't tolerate that here, it is just inconvenient to readers and cause long download times for dial-uppers.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline BeeAttitude

• New Bee
Screen Width in IE
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2006, 07:14:01 am »
I have a 17" monitor and am running MS IE 6 on Win XP.

Robo, out of curiosity, what browser are you using?  See John's reponse.

Perhaps I'll switch browers . . .

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Screen Width in IE
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 08:33:40 am »
Firefox 1.0.7
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison