Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Helo From Ohio  (Read 4374 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Helo From Ohio
« on: May 08, 2006, 08:06:34 pm »
Well Im intersted in alot of oddity's. I love Social Insects first off, so why not Bee's I say, And I came up with the idea of getting some honey bee's and giving my mom the honey if its any good. And the only way Im eating It is if the honey magicaly some how comes from Fireweed.  :roll:  I used to live in Alaska  :D Fireweed honey is AMazing!!!

Oh yea, back to my self centerd post, well Im preaty much a Teenager, Half way through Highschool. And Just love to be difrent, and I figured Having bee's would be one of them, now Ive heard its expensive high up keep, and things of that sort, So It probably wont be too soon of a project, If at all cause im kinda tight on the pocket and time.

But Other than that im into Music (Playing Bass And Saxaphones in general), Carnivorous Horticulture (the avatar), Horticulture, Social Insects, Mycology (Mushrooms).

Im Interestedin In learning the basics of Keeping a bee hive

Thats the jist of me... I hope to learn alot from this forum...
THANKS UNDERSTUDY!

Cheers
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

manowar422

Helo From Ohio
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 11:42:59 pm »
Well Im intersted in alot of oddity's

You'll feel right at home here, beekeepers are generally
an odd lot to begin with :)

now Ive heard its expensive high up keep, and things of that sort, So It probably wont be too soon of a project, If at all cause im kinda tight on the pocket and time

Time is needed, but not in copious amounts. Ask for a gift certificate
from a bee products supplier for your next birthday or something :wink:

Buy an observation hive and wait until spring to capture your own
swarm and WHAM, your a beekeeper 8)

I'll bet good money you'll soon be staring through the glass and
wonder why you have waited so long :lol:

Welcome to the forum

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 11:52:10 pm »
Top bar hives are cheap to build...You could try that if you are handy with a hammer & saw...
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 08:10:02 am »
>Top bar hives are cheap to build...You could try that if you are handy with a hammer & saw...

Of even if you're not that handy...

TBHs are easy to make from scrap lumber.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 01:11:51 pm »
I dont know what any of that termanology is.

Is their a sticky on a thread that has term's or some place that I can find what things are?

Cheers
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

manowar422

Helo From Ohio
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 07:10:52 pm »
Ahhhhhh, a student :D

Terminology and definitions can be found at this site:

http://maarec.cas.psu.edu/bkCD/glossary.html

Also try your local library for beekeeping books.

You'll BEE speaking the language in no time :wink:

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 08:25:24 pm »
Thanks Man for the terminology link - I'll STICKY it to the genral forum!
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 09:01:49 pm »
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 10:54:05 pm »
Thanks for the help!  :D

Anonymous

Beekeeping ain't expensive
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 01:11:34 pm »
Hey man,

I am glad you are interested. I can tell you exactly how to start without too much or hardly any $. I set up plenty of no and low cost projects around Africa. I started in Ashtabula, Ohio with my dad and have never really left. Tell you what you do...get a pallet and make a rectangular box about 560mm long and oh, forgot inches, well, get the dimensions off the net on some top bar beekeeping sites. Than, you do not really need a veil or gloves as european bees are real gentle, but if you want a veil use your moms curtain liner over a hat, tucked into a shirt. next, a knife and bucket are all you need to harvest the honey and finally, the smoker can be made from a coffe tin, some vinyl sheet and two blocks of wood and a bed spring (basically). If you want some diagrams you can write me at nate@bioafrica.co.za

Good luck, as I have said before the average age of a beekeeper is about 70. Once these okes die than who will do the pollination of the US agriculture. Over here in South Africa, the beekeepers are making millions.

Best,

Nathan Emery

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
    • Photo Album
Helo From Ohio
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 01:38:00 pm »
Thanks, for that information.

Ive been talking to one of my friends who keeps bee's, he says that he Has heard its our breath that really messes them up. I for get exactly but its what ever we exhale. He says its its like blowing smoke in their faces. So what he says he has seen are people harvesting honey with long long tubes, breathing in their noses and out their mouths. He says they didnt do any thing just kinda let the be keepers do their things. (I tried this with my other social insects wich are ants and they spazed out when I blew into their colony.

Ill maybe try doing that, I just would need to get female bee alate I think I know a few Bee keepers around hear.

Thanks! I totaly for got about this board. Still dont know If I will be doing it any time soon cause I dont have the time to devote to keeping them.

Cheers

anything