Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow up question on making splits  (Read 1349 times)

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
Follow up question on making splits
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:02 pm »
Thanks everyone for your comments on moving splits, one more question.

When making up splits to move to another yard, do you put the queen in before the move, and take the new hive to another yard while she is in her cage, or move the split to the new yard and then place queen cage in?

I made up 10 today, closed them up after shaking a bunch of bees in, then added the queen in her cage, 15 min later loaded them up, and headed 1/2 hour drive and set them in new yard and opened them up.

Was wondering if the move would wind the bees up and maybe cause them to harm the new queen.?

Thanks again.
 :roll:

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
Re: Follow up question on making splits
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:06:01 am »
I would install the new queen after the move.
Sometimes especially with packages if you disturb the hive in the wrong way the bees can take it out on the queen thinking she was the cause.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 12:21:34 am »
My old queen is usually in the spilt that goes to the new yard. The new queen, in cage, stays with the split in the old yard. That is if doing splits and keeping the old queen. You usually want the origianl hive to know it has had a queen change, at least for swarm control.

John 3:16

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:36 am »
I wait 24 hours to add the queen to splits.
As I posted before, I move the old queen (15-20 feet and reverse its orientation), and the split box goes to the old hive location (to collect foragers). 
  After the chaos of the divide, you want the bees to have some housekeeping time to clean up and organize. They will then realize they are queenless, and accept the queen with kindness and grace.  
I keep the cork in/tape over the candy for 2 days.  Then I pull the tape and allow the bees to free the queen.   Other recommend 3 days with the cork in but the shorter time seems to work.  
 My bees free the queen in 24 hours, though the local candy plugs are very soft.  I have had mail queens where the "life saver" was hard as a rock, and you needed to drill it out.

After I get a queen-right hive in the new split, I move the now started hive to the new yard.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 11:43:04 am by JWChesnut »

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:25:08 am »
My old queen is usually in the spilt that goes to the new yard. The new queen, in cage, stays with the split in the old yard. That is if doing splits and keeping the old queen. You usually want the origianl hive to know it has had a queen change, at least for swarm control.

old queen usually goes with the split when i do it.  if you re-queen the split wait until after the move.

anything