Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can I shoot his cows?  (Read 35563 times)

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
Can I shoot his cows?
« on: May 11, 2009, 02:17:41 pm »
Ok here is the situation. I have a neighbor a few lots over from me that keep cows. My property used to have cows on it that my cousin kept. This year we removed the cows from my property. Over the last few months I have noticed cow manure and other signs of grazing on my property. I asked my cousin if somehow they were his cows and he pointed me to my neighbor. Well I walked through the woods to go talk to the guy and as I’m walking up to his fence I notice the lack of barbwire it has holes all in his fence that the cows come and go through. I spoke with him about this and he told me it would cost him too much to fix the whole fence, and there wasn’t a lot he could do about it. He told me to go ahead and keep my fence that my cousins used to keep up in good order and that would take care of the cows coming into my fields. I want to cut holes in my fence so I don’t have to cross a fence every time I want to go into my woods (that would still be grazed by his cows) So I guess my question is can I shoot his cows when they are on my property?  Seems to me fixing his fence would cost him a lot less than replacing his cows.
Anybody knows the law on this.

Keith

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Can I shoot his cows?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »
I take it you live out in the country?
You have told the guy about his cows trespassing on your property so next call the county sheriff and ask him if you can shoot the cow and have it for dinner. Of course the sheriff is invited over for BBQ  :-D
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 02:36:24 pm »
Jerry I live in the city but the property is in the country. One of the biggest problems I run into is the locals like to stick together. In other words when I spoke with the sheriff he told me there is no way his cows would come on to my property. He must have purty smart cows.
 :roll:
Keith

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 02:41:58 pm »
Jerry I live in the city but the property is in the country. One of the biggest problems I run into is the locals like to stick together. In other words when I spoke with the sheriff he told me there is no way his cows would come on to my property. He must have purty smart cows.
 :roll:
Keith

Well there ya go,   when there is a dead cow in your field, there is no way it can be his. :evil:
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 03:09:52 pm »
Gee. That is a tough one. Since you are the outsider I suggest you find out exactly what legal grounds you have.

There was a bit of a question on this old travel trailer I just got. It had been sitting on this persons property before they bought the property. and they had now owned the property for several years. But the Sheriff... a friend of the property owner.... said just because it is on their land does not necessarily give them the right to dispose of it as they wish. They needed to locate the owners of the trailer or turn it over to the local law after which they could claim it in thirty days and blah blah blah....   Luckily the owner's widow lived next door.  
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 03:13:40 pm »
I have a grinder and a meat saw.  Anyone else have a freezer to fill? :evil:

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 04:20:42 pm »
I don't know about where you are, but here neighbors tend to share the cost of fixing/replacing a boundary fence.  I think the law reads if livestock is kept on both sides though.  You might consider putting a gate where you want to go through to your woods, and if the neighbors cows get out...through an open gate....well he might consider fixing the fence.  Just my humble opinion.

David

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 04:33:01 pm »
The answer is so simple. Take more of your fence down, especially along the road. Let his cows wander up and down the road. If no road, than just let them wander wherever. Also tell you neighbor he will be getting a bill for any garden, fruit, or other crop they happen to eat.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 04:42:03 pm »
The answer is so simple. Take more of your fence down, especially along the road. Let his cows wander up and down the road. If no road, than just let them wander wherever. Also tell you neighbor he will be getting a bill for any garden, fruit, or other crop they happen to eat.

That is my biggest concern when I start planting food plots the cows will mow em down. Being he can't fix a fence I doubt I will get a check out of him.

There is a road near by and I was going to cut both sides om my fences allowing cows access to the road, but my concern there is what if some poor soul at night is driving and kills himself by hitting one of these cows? Yes the owner gets sued but to me that might not be the best answer I think I would rather shoot them :evil:. I also thought of poison but to me I think that might open me up to liability somehow.

Keith

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 05:25:48 pm »
shooting them will create a neighbor who also hates you (I promise you he'll whine to someone that it was unnecessary for you to do that)- you may eventually wind up having to shoot him (My neighbor next door shot a threatening dog on his property - the dogs owner was an irrational freak about it. if it weren't for the sheriff's officers eventually doing their job and ultimately taking the guy away my neighbor probably would have had to shoot him.) I think some of the others are on a better point - nobody says you have to maintain your fences on your own property to keep his cattle in.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:34:50 pm »
Some of the replies sounds like tell tells of city people moving to the country. I have been on both sides of this issue. Here in Florida you are both equally responsible for the boundary line fence. I had a neighbor that refused to help fix the fence (in my mind it was so he could graze my land without having to pay for it because his grass was all gone). After numerous tries to get him to come get his cows out of my field I finally rounded up his cows, loaded them onto the trailer and took them to the livestock market. I sold them under his name and took out my expenses which ended up being about 75% of what they brought at the market. Long story short he started taking a lot better care of the fence. You can charge him for damages done to your property as well. Small claims court is the way to go for that.  Try to get him to help with a boundry fence and maybe you could use some of the old fence you want to take down to build the new boundry line. I Think it is best to try to be a good neighbor but sometimes others do not reciprocate. Taking the fence down knowing that his cows could get onto the road is a bad idea. If someone gets in a wreck with the cow it could turn out badly.  Good luck on this.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:53:39 pm »
I don't know about where you guys are, but here cow fencing belongs to the property owner.  There isn't anything such as a boundary fence unless your talking the old rock walls that separated fields which adjacent property owners usually have to come to an agreement on, but those were never meant to contain livestock.  They are his cows and he is responsible to control them.  For example if they got out and wandered into the road and some car ran into one his farm/homeowners insurance(if he has it) would have to pay to repair any damage and if someone died he could even be charged with manslaughter via negligence.  Barbed wire is pretty cheap compared to that I would think.  I wouldn't advise shooting his livestock.  Creates very bad feelings with the neighbors, especially if you're an outsider.  There are usually legal issues with shooting an animal belonging to someone else unless you are in danger from it or animals you own are.  I suppose you could wait until some of them were on your property and then call the sheriff.  If they tell you to call you neighbor remind them that they told you they couldn't be his.  :-D
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 08:02:24 pm »
pdmattox

You just admitted to cattle rustling
Selling stolen goods
Forgery

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 08:22:45 pm »
Jerry it was all done legal,on the up and up and was worked out with the auction barn who also knew this guy. He never complained and was happy to pick up his check. Problem solved for me. Good try though Jerry.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2009, 10:59:01 am »
pdmattox

You just admitted to cattle rustling
Selling stolen goods
Forgery

Isn't possession 9/10th of the law?  My land, my trees, my cows?

Rick

Offline vermmy35

• Field Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2009, 11:05:59 am »
Keith you must check the laws for your area.  In La. you all live under Napoleonic law so I do believe you have every right to shoot them, but before you do check the law.  Then call me up I like a good BBQ :evil:
Semper Fi to all my brothers out there
http://gettingbacktocountryliving.blogspot.com/

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2009, 12:27:24 pm »
a lot of Texas is still under open range laws. a part of that means...

The Texas Supreme Court is very clear on this subject. In their 1999 decision on Gibbs v. Jackson, the Court ruled that a livestock owner has no duty to fence his livestock unless such a duty is created by statute.

In their opinion the Court stated, "With its policy-making authority, the Legislature has considered fence and livestock restraint laws for virtually every type of roadway over which it has jurisdiction.

"It is noteworthy that the Legislature has specifically excluded farm-to-market roads from such regulation. We think it unwise in this instance for the Court to erect barriers that the Legislature has declined to impose."

The Court also deferred to the right of the citizens within a county to adopt local stock laws.

"Those citizens, who know far more about their roads and livestock than do we, apparently have deemed it unnecessary to adopt such a law for the road [in question]. We decline in this instance to impose upon them a duty which they have declined to self-impose."

So, a livestock owner might be liable for damages only if the accident occurred on a U.S. or Texas state highway or on a road covered by a local stock election law.

"In an open-range jurisdiction, farmers and other landowners must exclude (fence out) the livestock. Cattlemen face no liability if their cattle are not properly excluded."

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 01:13:29 pm »
How about sowing your field and woods with jimson?  :roll:  Its a great honey plant, right??? :evil:

I agree, don't let the cows on the road.  You may be 1000's of miles away but my mom will find a way to run into them.  She's already hit a few deer and a horse :roll: .
Rick

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 01:35:22 pm »
Have you ever watched "Survivorman"?  He outlines a couple of neat little tricks that could be employed here... like a snare that would at the very least hold the cows in place until animal control or the sheriff could come and remove them, another is his fish trap... and I like this one best for your situation... put a post on each side of each of the holes in his fence, then put sharpened sticks on those poles with the sharp end facing the center of your property in kind of a V shape.  The cows will walk through to your property, but will not go back, so in about a week, you can rent a big tractor trailer and haul them all off to the auction... just remember to do something nice with some of the money and buy him a few hundred feet of barbed wire.  Buy a nice new truck with the rest.   :evil:

Or you could maybe file a lawsuit against him for the grazing value of your property multiplied out over the past few years, with interest and punitive damages for not paying you up front, then offer to settle the suit with him for the price of fixing the fence plus your filing fees.

anything