Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Urban vs Rural beekeeping yields  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Urban vs Rural beekeeping yields
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:48:00 pm »
Nice and warm today in Texas, 71 F. I was out moving my beek stuff from my old outyard in the country to the new yard near my work in a build up urban area.

I've heard good things about beeking in urban areas. Like the buildup happens earlier and the flow runs longer because of all the ornamental plants that are in yards and are tended to. With a bonus of no wholesale pesticide spraying.

Can anyone confirm this?

Are there any other benefits?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline homer

• House Bee
Re: Urban vs Rural beekeeping yields
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 09:14:18 pm »
My personal experience is that my bees that were in rural areas this year, far outperformed the hives in the city.

Offline rickhwv

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 10:16:37 pm »
Location, Location, Location.  Keep it simple and don't overthink it.  The only thing that matters is water source, pollen, and nectar.  If the urban area has a lot then it would just as good as a rural area.  I have know people with hives in the city and they did great.  He was also located right by a park.  Another friend started out in a rural area and didn't to to well.  He was sourounded a a tomato farmer.  The bees worked the tomato's all the time.  The farmer loved it but he doesn't get much honey.  Just know your sources for produvtive bee's and then you will know.  Then again you never know about bee's and once you think you do they teach you a new leason!!! 

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2009, 11:54:58 am »
Urban bees here are two weeks ahead of rural bees and usually have better yields.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2009, 01:29:50 pm »
As mentioned it really depends on resources available. I find bees here do stupendous in urban settings. We don't have a lot of agriculture near me, so the bees count on urban resources.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 06:14:41 pm »
Have 10 hives in my small backyard and hives in the country.  Most in the country have not fared as well.  Though many of these were swarms, cutouts and trapouts.  I did put one of my splits out there but it didn't do nearly as well as those I left in my yard.  Note: I didn't move or get these colonies until summer after the main flow.

I have a huge natural spring just over the hill from me that is like a swamp.  Within 2 miles in several directions are parks, and some cotton fields.  Sometimes I believe that the bees are going in almost all 360 degrees from their hives.  Can be walking in the yard and get slammed against the side of the head when one of the Bee15s fly right into me on approach.  Guess they don't have radar or traffic control.
De Colores,
Ken

anything