Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hoping to start bee keeping this spring.  (Read 3012 times)

Offline morganchris030778

• New Bee
hoping to start bee keeping this spring.
« on: November 01, 2011, 05:25:14 pm »
I hope to start this spring. I have been doing quiet a bit of reading and work with a guy who keeps bees. I was wondering which would be best way to go. I was planning on building a hive through the winter a little at a time and ordering bees in the spring. I was told it would be best to find an already established hive and buy that instead of starting new. I was told that sometimes when you order bees they may not except the queen and kill her before the colony can be established. now i am doubting which choice would be best for a beginner as myself. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Larry Bees

• Field Bee
Re: hoping to start bee keeping this spring.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2011, 05:59:05 pm »
Welcome to the site!

It's good that you have been working with another beekeeper. That's the way I started.

The guy just gave me a couple of nucs with bees, brood and eggs and they made their own queen and the rest is history. I have never bought any bees or queens and right now I've got about 25 hives/nucs.

Good luck! Larry

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2011, 06:30:25 pm »
If you ask 100 beekeepers a question most of the time you will get 101 different answers.  I would recommend going to the Cherokee Bee Club "Bee school" in Cherokee County GA this February.  It's a one day course for something like $25.  You will meet lots of experienced people and be able to ask questions about anything.  Very useful information and you can see plenty of different ways that different beekeepers arrive at the same goal.  Then decide what "you think" is best for you. 

The guy that manages 100-200 hives has a different perspective than the beekeeper with 2-3 hives and that guy is different than the guy with 10-15 hives and so on. The old timers always have some interesting solutions too that you can incorporate.   
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 08:30:25 am »
Good luck and welcome!  

Perhaps my own biggest 'failure' has been notekeeping, so I can't recommend it enough.  I get better about it each year but trying to remember previous efforts gets harder with every season :(.  I buy big calenders and make lots of margin notes.

Reading the archives on this site (and everything else you can get your hands on) will bring you a wealth of info.  Get into the habit of typing a search word for any inquiry you may have and if you can't find what you're seeking just ask, someone (or several :-D) will eventually respond.  Not all advise will suit you (and that's OK), as said there are many ways to successfully keep bees, although some will insist it is best 'their' way.  While sifting through advise its important to keep that in mind.

Most beekeeping is regional so like others have advised find someone nearby that shares your particular philosophy for keeping bees and spend as much time with them as they will allow.  Georgia has many beekeepers and some very active associations.  

If you have access to NUC colony bees I'd get them over a package, less worries for a new beek.

My best advise;  Always trust the bees, they know best.

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 09:35:27 am »
Thanks for your input I will start searching on nucs and see if that feels like a better option. Thanks again

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2011, 12:07:07 pm »
As I have moved a lot, I have had to start from scratch 3 different times over the last 3 decades and I always started with a package. I've never had any problems with a package.  I believe you learn the most starting with a package.  I wouldn't start with a full blown hive. You just don't get to watch them develop/grow like you do with a package or even a nuc.  A nuc would be my second choice.

If you are going to order either a nuc or package, place your order EARLY (January is on the late side!) as a lot of places sell out fast.  The closer to home you can get your bees, the better.

And finally, decide up front a) the size of equipment you are going to use - 10 frame deeps & supers vs all mediums.  (I've done it both ways and highly recommend using all the same size equipment a la Michael Bush and others); and b) what your treatment philosophy is going to be - use chemicals to kill pest or go chemical free and rely on Integrated Pest Management (IPM) techniques.  Lots to read about both subjects in books and on the internet.

Enjoy the wonderful adventure of beekeeping!

Linda D
linda d

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 02:35:41 pm »
Like said above, there are lots of different philosophies because everyone has different experiences.  You have to evaluate which of those may work best for you and pick.  As you gain more of your own experience, you end up modifying and then move on from there.

But here is my philosophy to throw into your mix:

I honestly believe a new beekeeper with no experience needs to start with a package.  Doing this gives you a matrimonial phase with your bees. They act more like a swarm and are usually less testy during the hiving process, and it's fun and exciting to watch them build.  By the time the hive is "established" you have a good sense of the personality of your bees and can more easily clue in to whether or not there are problems.  Instinct works wonders!

If you are working with another beekeeper and you are getting into enough hives that you can spot things like potential queenless issues, or potential pest issues, then nucs have some real advantages.   But, IMHO, I think you really need that groundwork covered first.  Many nucs are just fine, but some can come with queen cells already started or with a higher mite count that can delay their potential to thrive.  A brand new beek with no experience will miss this stuff and get into trouble...quickly.  If you choose to go this direction and want to better cover your bases, have the beekeeper you are working with come and help you hive your bees.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »
Hi and welcome!
A lot of good advice up above!

Package or established hive...don't matter too much.  I'd recommend an established hive myself, more likelihood of a harvest, and nothing sweetens the first year like your own honey, and while possible with a package, it is less likely.   I've found that cost is a wash - woodenware plus a package is not much cheaper than an established hive on older woodenware.  And I'm still running the old boxes I bought years ago.  But you can do fine with a package, they have downsides, but you can kill a queen just as easily in an established hive as they can reject the queen in a package.   I personally do the numbers and pick the cheapest way, usually  :-D.  In a year it won't matter anyway.

Read through the options, opinions, etc.  We all have our $.02... and use them to figure out your own way, whatever that might be.

Rick
Rick

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2011, 06:52:11 am »
I would go with a package.  Thats what i did when i started out.

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2011, 07:32:54 am »
I would go with a package.  Thats what i did when i started out.
I firmly believe everyone should get package bees sometime, but for beginners, I recommend getting a nuc of locally-raised bees. Nucs increase the probability of success, which I think is essential for beginners. With nucs there aren't issues of queen acceptance, absconding, or any of the other common package bee problems. I've seen too many beginners get discouraged and give up because of package bee problems.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2011, 01:42:03 pm »
If you want bees on a different sized frame (medium vs deep or top bar vs deep) or a different sized cell (4.9mm or natural vs 5.4mm) then it is definitely best to get a package.  They used to recommend packages all the time as they don't have any issues with brood diseases or infected equipment.  But if you can get a nuc on the size frame and the size cell you want, and you can get them that are raised locally with local queens, then I would buy a nuc.  But since I would want small cell or natural cell and medium frames, they are harder to find.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »
Welcome...Im just right across the border from you. It's easy to become overwhelmed with beekeeping items (and bees) when you first begin. I wouldnt worry about too many of the options starting out and there are lots. i.e Screened bottom boards vs solids, all mediums vs. deep and shallows, etc.Nor would I be concerned with a particular breed of bee. Order a couple of packages or buy some nucs and then fine tune them as you go.  Welcome to the addiction.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 03:04:39 pm by VolunteerK9 »

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2011, 05:15:30 pm »
volunteer is right about the addiction but its fun id never go without a hive again.  I think the advice above is great.  I think id go with a package why?? As a new beekeeper its great to hive a package its actually a rush.  When i hived my first package i dumped some bees on the top of the frames where i positioned the queen before i dumped the bees.  Then i put  a wooden board proped up on the hive. I then put a white sheet down then dumped the remaining bees in front of the hive and watched them march in it was awesome. You will see the bees at the entrance fanning their phermones to tell the other bees to come into the hive.  Another good point of having a package is that there are no brood diseases and the hive is relatively small so you can gain experience as the hive gains population. It provides good practice for finding the queen and watching them draw wax and the queen lays eggs.  Either way a nuc is nice as well but i think the package gives you the full effect of what its all about.

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2011, 05:40:11 pm »
Why not one of each that way you will know which you like the best. And having two hives has many advantages over having just one.

Offline Mason

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »
Definitely start with at least 2 hives.  Lots of advantages to having 2.
Former beekeeper until March....maybe next year...RIP

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:24 pm »
I guess I will throw my 2 cents into the ring....started keeping bees in the 80's and have never purchased a package, not that at this point I think there is anything wrong with them but my mentor hated them, he always said they are what spread disease and pests across the country so quickly and so I got into the habit of nucs/swarms. Is that the best option?? Not sure. One thing I would suggest is that you SHOULD look into all the small things like which bottom boards to use etc. otherwise it is very easy to spend lots-o-money and end up with equipment you don't use lying around (please don't ask me how I know that!) 8) Keep reading and snooping round in here and welcome to the wonderful world of beekeeping. Oh and I fully agree with the above, in my opinion starting with two is a must.

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 06:53:15 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I have already pre-ordered a package of bees. But have been considering buying a nuc also. I was told there is a guy not far from me who used to sell bees and nucs. I will contact him and hopefully start with two hives. Thanks for the info   :)