Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4 weeks sure goes by fast!  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
4 weeks sure goes by fast!
« on: May 11, 2013, 04:43:31 pm »
Four weeks ago today I installed my first package ever. So far, they seem to be doing great! I added a new 10 frame deep during last week's inspection, and today I found the queen laying away on the new frames in the upper deep! They've got 3-4 frames combed-out already, so I'd say things are going really well. Funny thing about my queen--while many complain about never seeing theirs, I swear that every time I go into the hive my queen is on the 1st or 2nd frame I check.... :)

I did wonder a little about her laying pattern, and I'm attaching some pics. I'm assuming it's normal to miss a few cells here and there, correct?

Thanks again for the help!

NP

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Re: 4 weeks sure goes by fast!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 05:41:14 pm »
It is very normal for the queen to miss a cell or two here and there.  Sometimes the nurse bees keep water and/or bee bread in them to feed the larvae.  Everything in your pix look fine.
linda d

Offline Caelansbees

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 10:00:51 pm »
Ho big we're these packages that you could add a second deep of foundation in 4 weeks? Was the first deep completely drawn out?

Offline JWChesnut

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 10:20:36 pm »
This is going to sound grumpy, but please listen and learn.

Queen should not be on the first frame you check.  The reason: always lift the outer frames first, to increase space.  To yank up the center brood frames risks rolling the queen. If the queen was laying well last week when you added a deep, why on earth did you disturb the hive again after a week.  Patience please.  I know you are excited about you new pets, but what purpose does it serve to stir up the hive every week.

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 01:00:19 am »
Ho big we're these packages that you could add a second deep of foundation in 4 weeks? Was the first deep completely drawn out?

I started with a 3lb package. When I inspected last week, they had 7 of the 9 frames in the first deep fully drawn and the last two frames were 1/2-2/3 drawn out.
"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little."
—Franklin D. Roosevelt

Offline Nonprophet

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 01:10:46 am »
This is going to sound grumpy, but please listen and learn.

Queen should not be on the first frame you check.  The reason: always lift the outer frames first, to increase space.  To yank up the center brood frames risks rolling the queen. If the queen was laying well last week when you added a deep, why on earth did you disturb the hive again after a week.  Patience please.  I know you are excited about you new pets, but what purpose does it serve to stir up the hive every week.

Yes, I should clarify: I always pull one of the outermost frames first to give me some room to move the other frames around. Being a new hive, the outer frames usually only have a handful of bees and a little bit of comb on them, so I glance at the frame quickly to make sure the queen isn't on it, and then lean it up against the hive body like I do with the top and inner cover.

I went into the hive again this week to check the feeder and top it off if needed. I'm using a frame feeder, so, in order to check/refill it, I need to pull off the top cover and the inner cover. I'm not comfortable yet doing that without my veil and a smoker, and so when I went in today I figured I might as well pull a frame or two from the new deep to see if the queen had moved up into the 2nd deep and was laying. I was in the hive for maybe 3-5 minutes--it's not like I'm pulling each and every frame out. I understand your concern though, and I do appreciate the advice. Even though we've got lots in bloom right now, conventional wisdom around here this time of year seems to be feed new packages for the first 4-6 weeks, especially if they're on empty frames. They seem to be doing great, and I appreciate everyone's comments and advice!

NP
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 01:53:10 am by Nonprophet »
—Franklin D. Roosevelt