Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question for Those in Florida & Texas - When to check for Varroa  (Read 2405 times)

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
Question for Those in Florida & Texas - When to check for Varroa
« on: September 13, 2007, 10:07:43 am »
Considering the following
 - Extremely southern bees have very little to worry about for winter or at least a very short period of time and that does not occur until Jan/Feb most years. 
 - It seems that most do monitoring/counting of mites in the fall or after the summer flow
 - Florida should still have good foraging through Oct and maybe Nov depending on the area
 - Maybe something else .....

When is the right time in southern states such as FL or Texas to do a mite count and "official" treatment if neccessary. 

I have been doing sugar shake about once a month and do use SBB. 

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
Re: Question for Those in Florida & Texas - When to check for Varroa
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2007, 10:20:23 am »
In central Mississippi, I have been told by an experience beek. If you have to treat for varroa, then do it late September and in February.   

I believe my bees (Russian hybrids) have a low level of mites.   However, I will have to do a sugar shake, as my sticky board tests have been compromise.  I have been finding a few fire ants on the sticky boards.  Funny everything else is stuck, except for those fire ants.
Chuck and Fran

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2007, 10:55:34 am »
I always treat in september also. I look for sighns of mites every time I inspect the hive. If you start seeing bees with deformed wings, then you definately have mites.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2007, 11:57:11 am »
I don't treat for varroa with anything other than small cell methods. I look in the drone cells everytime I look. My numbers are pretty low. I have had hives I have seen none in and a few I have seem some in. My small hive beetle numbers right now don't make me happy but they aren't foing anything to my hives other than hanging on the walls. I have seen no destruction of my comb or oily slicks. So I am doing alright.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline mgmoore7

• House Bee
    • Moore Honey Bees
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 12:39:27 pm »
Understudy
Small cell is in my sights but it is going to take a while.  I have 20 HSC frames and have started to cull old frames from my hives and are using these.  I am also going to try (already did, but failed) more radical approach as well to introducing the HSC but right now, with one hive that was queenless, one newer hive, one that is doing well (and I would like some honey this fall) and one nuk, I am letting things settle down a bit first.

anything