Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: testing  (Read 20799 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
testing
« on: October 19, 2007, 01:34:39 am »
testing ing ing ing  ing
doak

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: testing
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 01:52:34 am »
The line between pure natural and organic honey is so broad we will never be able to cross it.
If the honey gets as much  red tape and scrutiny  in the testing of it for organic as the rules do, there is no organic honey on earth. JMO
Natural honey is a different story.
doak

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 12:46:14 am »
The line between pure natural and organic honey is so broad we will never be able to cross it.
If the honey gets as much  red tape and scrutiny  in the testing of it for organic as the rules do, there is no organic honey on earth. JMO
Natural honey is a different story.
doak

True, at least until the USA sets a honey standard(s).
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 06:18:05 pm »
I tell my Customers tha My honey comes from hives that have not been treated for mites faul brood nothing.I also say that I use starter strips from wax that has come frome a hive that hasn't been treated or medicated in any way.Clean Wax and Honey that has got no Mitesides pesticides oils or acids.I also say this honey is like the honey you grand pa used to eat.Sold American
people like that.I don't even mention Organic or Natural I let them Dub that In
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 06:24:29 pm »
I also say this honey is like the honey you grand pa used to eat.

maybe so, but chemicals have been used to combat disease for 100 years. they used to use formaldehyde to try to kill out afb spores in the early 1900's .

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 11:41:01 pm »
Thats right they did use Fermaldahyde also to stuff dead people and to make glue for particle board there is alot of people and other creatures that can attest to the benefits of chemicals.In fact the grave yard is full of them.What honey would you like to eat?Chemical infused honey or honey from a hive that hasn't had any put in.All that polluted honey is also in bread and the cherrios people eat.I know which one I prefer.Which one do you prefer?
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Old Timer

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 12:54:34 am »
i prefer my honey ;). i don't use chemicals either. i was pointing out that when some of these people's grandpa was around they were using chemicals in bee hives. chemicals have been used for a hundred years. terramycin was patented in 1950, how many grandpas do you think used it? and ate the honey from the hive? i'm sure a lot of us has. i am trying to let you know that there was a use of chemicals in hives before mites.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2007, 07:46:35 am »
Thats right they did use Fermaldahyde also to stuff dead people and to make glue for particle board there is alot of people and other creatures that can attest to the benefits of chemicals.In fact the grave yard is full of them.What honey would you like to eat?Chemical infused honey or honey from a hive that hasn't had any put in.All that polluted honey is also in bread and the cherrios people eat.I know which one I prefer.Which one do you prefer?
kirko
To be truthful, a lot of people that ate pure,wholesome ,unadultered honey are also dead.
I wonder if any sickness could be attributed to hives
that contained spores of untreated foul brood with proper research?
Just a question for thought. Sick bees could probably produce less than great honey even though"organic"
I do agree that not imposing man made chemicals any more than needed should be done but there is a time when intervention is needed.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2007, 10:47:59 am »
Of all the insects in the world..... How many are medicated?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 10:51:10 am »
How many insects do we harvest a crop from?
We"medicate " mosquitos ;)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 11:36:50 am »
How many insects do we harvest a crop from?
We"medicate " mosquitos ;)

Hummmm. Seems the harder we try to wipe out a species the more it thrives and the more we try to fix something the more it is broken. Perhaps we should try to get rid of bees.

I do not know the full history of the honey bee but I do imagine that once upon a time they lived in the wild all on their own and managed just fine. The process of natural selection probably took place and the survivors moved on to become stronger and better. Then at some point man came along and decided to put the bees into containers to make it easier to get to the honey.

Now some where since then for some reason man bees got sick. So man being man decided he needed to fix the problem. But this so called sickness was probably something the bees had lived with for years. (many many years) And either the bees coped with it or they died. The weak die in nature you know. But now that man was fixing the problem, the bees thrived. Yea! But it is the weak bees, and they get weaker, and new diseases come along. So man fix those also. Then more and more and more. Soon a super bug comes out of the woods and attacks the weak bees and man runs around screaming "OH NO what do we do?" Now all of man's weak bees are being slaughtered. But there are a few strong ones left and if we just give them a chance to out propagate the weak ones by doing nothing, we can beat this.

Mean while, we still kill off the weak mosquitoes and the strong keep coming on stronger.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2007, 06:29:05 pm »
where is the data on feral hives? That may be the missing link. I don't know about your part of the country but very few honey bees are seen around here except for in the vicinity of beekeepers.Mostly bumbles,wasps,yellow jackets and the like.If all the wild bees are surviving around here they never came to visit my gardens much

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2007, 06:59:19 pm »
There are many many feral hives around here. And I don't know of very many beekeepers. In fact the local apple orchards keep begging for beeks for pollination. I think there are a couple of folks up in PA that go after feral bees. I believe they have a yahoo group called the feral bee project or something.

But if there were a bunch of beeks in this area and they were propping up genetically weak bees then it would stand to reason that those bad genes could/would get into the survivors gene pool and weaken them. Also seems people don't want bees around and will get rid of those survivors further lessoning the strong gene pool.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2007, 07:26:25 pm »
If all the wild bees are surviving around here they never came to visit my gardens much

I've got five acres with a lot of wildflowers and flowers I've put out. I hardly ever see bees around here on my five acres. I don't even know where my bees go to get water. Not from my pool or fish tank or the neighbors horse water tank.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 08:01:25 pm »
where is the data on feral hives? That may be the missing link. I don't know about your part of the country but very few honey bees are seen around here except for in the vicinity of beekeepers.Mostly bumbles,wasps,yellow jackets and the like.If all the wild bees are surviving around here they never came to visit my gardens much

Acording to the state of florida most feral hives are not realy feral they are ahb's. I'm sure that texas and californa are the same. How would you know if they are feral and when do they become feral?

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 08:04:31 pm »
Feral is when they are not in the care of a person. Bees in your hive are domestic. If they swarm they are feral. If you catch that swam or cut them out later then they are domestic again.

I guess the real question would be if/when do they become wild?

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 08:06:39 pm »
Feral is when they are not in the care of a person. Bees in your hive are domestic. If they swarm they are feral. If you catch that swam or cut them out later then they are domestic again.

I guess the real question would be if/when do they become wild?

That will never happen due to disease,dearth, or mites.
 Organic beekeeping can be done and organic honey can be obtained if you have the right locations.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 08:24:00 pm »
So,am I to think we have no ferals around here except for whatever swarms mine have thrown?
If not what happened to them,mites,nosema afb,efb? no treatment let them build survivor super bees?
Ferals should be organic unless someones treating them or feeding them.
Are ferals surviving or dying from these maladies,thats what I really want to know!
If treatment makes weaker bees,we should be overpopulated with ferals that have figured out how to survive without intervention by man.They should be a dominant species.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 08:35:13 pm »
I don't think anybody read a thing I wrote.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 08:50:13 pm »

?
 :evil:

anything