Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: oops painted supers  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
oops painted supers
« on: May 10, 2009, 10:32:43 pm »
I went paint happy here and painted the inside of my supers!!! I wasnt thinking I guess....... Should I start over with new supers or what could I do I dont want to use paint remover any advice would bee great. :catchchick:
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: oops painted supers
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 10:36:26 pm »
You could lightly sand the paint off or put them aside and let them air out and also through mud on them to remove scent.

You may or may not have acceptance issues, but I would still wait a while before introducing bees, unless of course you remove the paint.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 10:44:00 pm »
I have some that I painted on the inside years ago. They will be fine. Sit them open and out in the sun so the paint can get fully cured and the fresh paint smell can fade. It should not take long.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Highlandsfreedom

• House Bee
    • Organic gardening and Bee Services.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 10:49:02 pm »
Thanks they were painted about a month ago fully dried I was just worried about the pain itself but I dont think the bees will eat it right?
That would be my only concern....you know to try and remove it from the hive itself......
To bee or not to bee that is the question I wake up to answer that every morning...

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:31 pm »
It was latex exterior right? Its been a good while so you should be good to go.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 06:01:37 am »
Some people (Including one very experienced Beek I know) paint the insides as it can help prevent rot developing from the inside. In Winter, condensation can run down the lid or inner cover and onto the side of the hive, paint will help protect against the wood absorbing that moisture. So I wouldn't worry about it, you may find the boxes last longer - let us know in 5-10 years!
Regards,
John.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 09:55:48 am »
Don't sweat it...the bees cover everything with a layer of propolis (tree resin) anyway.

Unless it was something like a highly toxic lead paint....and then I'd have other worries  :-D.
Rick

anything