Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My Observation Hive...  (Read 22198 times)

Moots

My Observation Hive...
« on: February 23, 2014, 11:30:07 pm »
Last Sunday, I started a thread on the Equipment forum.., seeking advice on building an observation hive.

Thanks to everyone who offered their opinions and advice, rwurster was nice enough to point me in the direction of specialkayme, who's been offering numerous detailed post sharing his knowledge, experience and opinions, which was greatly appreciated.

That being said, it's been a fun project...it's still a work in progress, but it's coming together. I still need to paint it and put some hardware on the door, but I set it up in the workshop took a second to snap a couple pictures.

Ultimately, the mounting bracket will mount into a window seal which will allow the hive to swivel perpendicular to the window for viewing and parallel to the window to be out of the way when not being viewed. 

I know being by the window could potentially be a problem with direct sunlight, however, this particular spot is protect by a 6+ foot overhang.  I'm thinking it "should" be alright.  If not, I've got some contingency plans... :laugh:

Anyway, here's a couple of pics....

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My Observation Hive...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:20:58 am »
Moots,
Looks pretty good.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline CJ

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:03:08 am »
Looks fantastic mate!! Going to be a serious talking point when you get your girls in there! If you don't mind me asking - how do you open it to work the frames?

Moots

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:50:40 am »
Looks fantastic mate!! Going to be a serious talking point when you get your girls in there! If you don't mind me asking - how do you open it to work the frames?

Thanks sawdstmakr and  CJ...

CJ, One of the glass sides will be fixed and the other will allow access, either as a door via hinges, or completely held in places with latches and completely removable, hadn't quite decided as of yet.  Anyway, when I need access, I'll plug the tube, pull the pin on the bottom mount, lift the hive off the pin on the top mount, carry it outside, open it up, and do whatever needs to be done.... At least, that's the theory!  :-D   

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 12:21:58 pm »
Wow! Now that's an observation hive!  Can't wait to see it full with bees…... 8-)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2014, 05:40:56 pm »
Moots, that looks really great!! I hope to build one myself, eventually. I want to build one I can travel with for demonstrations. You mentioned moving the hive outside to open it. Heavy?? A little bit? It might be a good idea to add a couple of handles on each side so you and a buddy can move it easier. You probably all ready have that going. Good stuff. :)

Moots

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2014, 06:18:16 pm »
Moots, that looks really great!! I hope to build one myself, eventually. I want to build one I can travel with for demonstrations. You mentioned moving the hive outside to open it. Heavy?? A little bit? It might be a good idea to add a couple of handles on each side so you and a buddy can move it easier. You probably all ready have that going. Good stuff. :)

Thanks T Beek and Chux...

Chux, yeah, this is definitely NOT the lug around travel size model.  :laugh:

The plans I followed didn't have handles, however, I did think of that as an option and will probably end up mounting some.  I'm thinking it will have some weight to it, but a good set of handles would probably keep it manageable for a single person, not to mention helping avoid a slip or drop by either one or two people moving it.   

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2014, 08:35:54 pm »
That's top notch!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:17 pm »
How warm/cold does it get in that shop?  I am looking to populate an observation hive next year.  A shed/shop would be great but I wonder about overheating. 
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2014, 09:34:02 pm »
that makes me want one.  how about a wider base with some casters?  just roll it when you need to move it out.
anyway, it looks great.

Offline rjmeyer

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2014, 09:42:35 pm »
Very nice..like your shop even better..unfortunately i have all the equipment..AND NO ROOM TO WORK...post picks with bees..bty i lost one of my 7 hives to date..tough winter up here this year..will do a post mortum asap...still snow on the ground.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2014, 10:36:16 pm »
You have some skills!  I need one!

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2014, 12:41:26 pm »
That looks good Moots. I am having one built. My skills would not allow me to make one that look that good. Mine is going to be an eight frame medium also.

Moots

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 02:29:03 pm »
Thanks GSF, 10framer, Edgy, and Sterling...you are all too kind!  :)

How warm/cold does it get in that shop?  I am looking to populate an observation hive next year.  A shed/shop would be great but I wonder about overheating.  

Bush,
I just threw it up as I was working on it....whenever I actually populate it, it will be in my house.

Very nice..like your shop even better..unfortunately i have all the equipment..AND NO ROOM TO WORK...post picks with bees..bty i lost one of my 7 hives to date..tough winter up here this year..will do a post mortum asap...still snow on the ground.

Thanks Rich,
Actually, that's my Brother-in-Law's shop...Easton's family...It sure is nice and convenient, right next door!  Sort of like having a friend with a nice boat.  :-D

I will definitely get some pics up whenever it's done, installed, and populated.

Sorry to hear about your losing a hive, not sure if I posted it or not, but I also lost one about a month ago or so!

Stay warm!

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 12:42:26 pm »
Very nice..like your shop even better..unfortunately i have all the equipment..AND NO ROOM TO WORK

That's the problem in my shop also.... Way too many tools for the size of the shop! Had to go from a 24x36 to a 20x28 when I moved over from the mainland.

Moots, what do you estimate the weight so far? Looks like it will be a "buggah" to move!

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 03:57:16 pm »
Beautiful.....single frames? at least that is how it looks in the picture. Had to drag my husband, Jim, in to see it. I want one!!!!!

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:57 pm »
Looks great Moots. Obviously your wife is much more open to the idea of having bees IN THE HOUSE than mine will ever be. LOL
More pictures as you proceed please.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 07:48:57 pm »
Beautiful.....single frames? at least that is how it looks in the picture. Had to drag my husband, Jim, in to see it. I want one!!!!!
Of course I don't know Jim but I would say he can't wait to build you one. :)

Moots

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 10:59:23 pm »

Moots, what do you estimate the weight so far? Looks like it will be a "buggah" to move!

Royall,
You got me curious, good question, so I decided to get an official weight on it.  As pictured, Hive body frame, both glass doors, and the eight medium frames...46 pounds.  All that remains is a little hardware to secure the doors, maybe a couple of handles, and a couple coats of paint...plus whatever the bees, wax, brood and honey add to the mix.  I'm thinking it'll be fine, but plan B is to add a small wire cable with a turnbuckle from the wall above the top hinge to the upper outside corner to lend additional support.

Thanks Carol...yes it's single stack, eight medium frames.

Looks great Moots. Obviously your wife is much more open to the idea of having bees IN THE HOUSE than mine will ever be. LOL
More pictures as you proceed please.

hjon,
Sometimes I just go with the theory that it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.   :-D

Actually, I've always thought that I would eventually get around to building an OH, but it wasn't necessarily at the top of my to do list.  However, it's my wife that kept hinting for it....she would give me the look every time someone would utter the words "observation hive".   That was right up until she saw the size of it.  :laugh:  But if I was going to go through the trouble of having one, I wanted it to be large enough to have a better shot at being sustainable.  Anyway, since I showed her how it'll swing out the way when not being viewed, I "think" I'm on a little more solid ground...we'll see!

Offline Royall

• House Bee
  • Yes, snow in Hawaii
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 11:11:35 pm »
@Moots:

A wire to take the possibility of sag out of the equation is a good idea. Stress on the frame like that and it could (remote but) break the glass. That could get a little dicey! LOL

Talking about this brought back a memory of a Tourist trap Jelly and honey stand on highway 101 on the Southern Oregon coast south of Bandon. They had a OH but was quite small. If I remember right, it only had one or two frames. I would stand and stare at it every time we would stop when in the area.

More pictures would be a plus here!!