Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ventilation idea  (Read 1844 times)

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
ventilation idea
« on: April 27, 2009, 01:13:17 am »
Would this work?  Replace the inner cover with an excluder with 3/8 " pieces of wood at each corner.  A lot of hot air could then escape on all four sides under the outer cover and still respect bee space.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: ventilation idea
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 01:37:55 am »
Would this work?  Replace the inner cover with an excluder with 3/8 " pieces of wood at each corner.  a lot of hot air could then escape on all four sides under the outer cover and still respect bee space.

Why not just cut a notch in a migratory cover to vent the air.  It is not the air, hot or cold, that needs to be vented it is the moisture and can produce condensation that must be vented.  Opening a working hive and seeing moldy frames from too much moisture during the summer can be disheartening to some.  i like to keep my hives vented and moisture buildup to a minumum. 

Beside the bees will pack in water to use to feed the bees and regulate the internal temp of the hive in the broodnest.  The moisture doesn't collect in the broodchamber unless the broodchamber is the top box in a multiple box hive. 

To do what you are suggesting the use of #5-8 screen on 3/8 X 3/4 lathing will work just as well.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything