Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What to feed first ??  (Read 2253 times)

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
What to feed first ??
« on: April 21, 2006, 08:05:24 pm »
Hi Everyone, I will be hiving 2 Buckfast 3 lb. packages this coming Sunday ( weather permitting, lots of rain for the PA/NJ area ) I have both HFCS and pollen patties to feed my girls, but I am not sure as to what to give them first, the corn syrup or the patties or maybe both simultaneously. These are my first ever packages, so I am pretty excited about picking them up tomorrow despite the 4-5 hour drive in PA. ( DraperBee ). Please advise

Bobby

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
What to feed first ??
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 08:57:24 pm »
I've never fed HFCS, only sugar syrup, and I have my doubts that they will take pollen patties as there is plenty of natural pollen available now.

There is no correct order, you can feed both at the same time.  If it were me, I would probably just go with the HFCS and save the pollen patty.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

manowar422

What to feed first ??
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:09:57 pm »
If it were me, I would probably just go with the HFCS and save the pollen patty.

I agree with robo, with natural pollen available, I doubt
they'll even touch the pollen substitute :)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
What to feed first ??
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:17:46 pm »
Put the pollen patties in the freezer and give them to them for a Christmas present.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
What to feed first ??
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 06:05:10 pm »
Thanks for the input, folks. I'll freeze the patties for now, it's nice to have just in case :wink:

I arrived home a short time ago after a 4 hour drive from Draper's Superbees in Millerton, Pa., the girls rode in the cab with me and listened to rock-n-roll on the way back, not sure if they liked it or not. They're in the cellar where it is warm and dry till the weather breaks tomorrow. I'll try and post a pic of their new home right here.

BeeHopper