Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: first time with queen cells  (Read 2000 times)

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
first time with queen cells
« on: May 24, 2011, 08:02:29 am »
ok...i have a few of them on one frame...i would like to seperate them...they should be getting close to hatching...i need one for a nuc and id like to keep one in the feral hive...i could make another split and use one there too...maybe im doing too much too soon...maybe not...but if i do decide to split them whats the best way to do it...they are on the sides of the frame not on the end.
Everything tastes better with honey on it...and everything sounds better coated in it...beekeepers rock :)

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
Re: first time with queen cells
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 08:28:49 am »
Use your hive tool (or a knife) to cut a triangle of comb out around the queen cell, with the wide part of the triangle at the top and the point at the bottom.  This triangle should be about 2 inches on a side.  Cut  a similar hole in the recipient comb or just squish the combs together in a sticky honey/comb mash-up.  This is easier with fresh white wax on a foundationless frame but it will work on just about any comb.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 12:01:16 pm »
FRAMEshift 
Told it right if you need more on it
look up fatbeeman on you tube he does it like
FRAMEshift said

Good Luck

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 02:17:07 pm »
well.....i went to get the frame with the queen cells on it...pulled it out...figured id check on the "marked,bred carny queen i paid 20 bucks for....second frame i pulled out...found a new queen...third frame i pulled out...found a new queen...forth frame i pulled out the ferals had just started to ball a third queen...no marked queen in the hive or in the dirt...so i let the best one go in the full hive...then split a nuke from it and gave them the other accepted queen...sat down with the frame with the queen cells to look at with the balled queen in her cage in my pocket...it was quiet...then i herd this crunching sound...like a mouse chewen a tater chip...danged if the other queen cells werent hatching right in my lapso now i have five queens in cages...and two sitting on the frame...i have no more cages...guess i better make some...now i dont know what to do...this was....unexcpected  :-\
Everything tastes better with honey on it...and everything sounds better coated in it...beekeepers rock :)

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 08:08:40 pm »
Time to make some splits or nucs.

Offline 2kooldad

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 01:16:29 am »
i did make one split...i just don't have the nuc or brood boxes to do any more...i put all the queens in the top of one of the splits...if they are still kicking tomorrow I'll ask the neighbor down the road if he wants em...this puts me up to 4 hives now...one is in a nuc box...i swear by these beemax hive bodies i bought...these colony's got big fast...i think I'll keep my best bees in those and make splits from them...today was kinda fun  :-D