Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm in a Porsche 3/22/11  (Read 2782 times)

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
Swarm in a Porsche 3/22/11
« on: March 23, 2011, 03:37:25 pm »
My strangest location yet, but with only one year of experience I'm sure I'll see stranger in the future.

Got a call yesterday from a pest control guy that gives me his swarm calls and he said he just had a call from a woman who had a swarm in her Porsche. She had been shopping and came out of a store onto a street with a full-out swarm going on. She went back inside and came back in 30 minutes and was able to easily get to her SUV and drive off. Turns out she apparently took a small part of the swarm with her and didn't know it until more than an hour later when her son opened the back hatch to get something. It's always my last resort but I decided I had to use the Vac on this one, given the circumstances. It took just a few minutes and hours later the bees seemed vital and active so I'm hoping most survived the ordeal. Man, I hate using that thing!

The woman was a great sport and aside from the time lost, really thought it was kind of funny. She kept asking, "Why me?", "Why would they go into a car?". Not a lot of bees, and I have no idea if there is a queen, but I pocketed a quick $50 for my trouble, so I can't complain. Seems like it could be a busy season! This was number four in the last two weeks and it's cold and rainy here.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: Swarm in a Porsche 3/22/11
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
She drives a Porsche and you only charged her $50??? :-D

Good job...I hope you got her majesty!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline montauk170

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 04:17:15 pm »
Sweet! Bees have good taste for high-end cars. Looks like a Cayenne. =)

BTW, where in East Bay are you? I got a call from a lady in Alamo, out of my area, so maybe I can pass those bee removal calls to you on the East side.

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 09:04:04 pm »
Sweet! Bees have good taste for high-end cars. Looks like a Cayenne. =)

BTW, where in East Bay are you? I got a call from a lady in Alamo, out of my area, so maybe I can pass those bee removal calls to you on the East side.

Yep, Cayenne. Pretty well kid-worn inside but the bees didn't seem to mind. I've retrieved two swarms from Alamo this year. I'm in San Ramon so it's just 15 minutes for me. I'll PM you with details.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:28:24 pm »
How far/ fast did she drive?   Just wonder how many / what percentage of the bees did she lose?  Funny story.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:14 am »
great catch,    schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 01:22:47 am »
The bay area is hopping now it seems, for swarms. Great story.

Offline Pink Cow

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 12:28:50 pm »
How far/ fast did she drive?   Just wonder how many / what percentage of the bees did she lose?  Funny story.
She told me she was driving around town for well over an hour before they found the bees. I think she took just a small part of the swarm because she said when she first saw it, there was still a cloud of bees in the air and a lot more on her car than what I retrieved. I have a feeling the swarm had chosen a tree or something and were leaving her car so she drove off with those that didn't get out in time.

anything