Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New guy from Northern Ca.  (Read 5405 times)

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
New guy from Northern Ca.
« on: July 25, 2007, 04:33:09 pm »
I established my first colony this past May, something I have been wanting to do for many years. Obviously I'm looking for experienced beekeepers to learn from.  Books are great but limiting since there is no dialog possible.  I'm glad there are so many people here willing to share their experiences.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Re: New guy from Northern Ca.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 05:46:29 pm »
Glad you found our site :)

As you can tell, it is a busy group and any level of experience is tackled by all - you'll always get lots of opinions, they alone can help you plenty. Best wishes with your bee this year.

If you would, please let us know your state, Country, State or City you have your hive in your profile - it makes helping a whole lot easier :) Thanks again and have fun here.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:24:51 pm »
If you like dialog,you have came to the right place! Everybody is willing to help.Welcome and post often! :)

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 06:19:05 pm »
I am from Placerville California. Where do you live????

Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 06:55:39 pm »
Annette, I live South of El Dorado 3.5 miles on hiway 49 then 2 miles south on Crystal Blvd. I see your in P'ville, have you been a beekeeper for long?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:15:16 pm »
This is my second year and right now I have 2 hives situated on a friends property up the block from me.

I have had many challenges this second year. I started my beekeeping last year with only 1 hive, which went into winter very, very strong. So strong that in fact it swarmed in March. Before it swarmed, I was able to split it into another hive. That new split took off so strong and I actually got 18 llbs of honey from it. My original hive was doing great, but all of a sudden got very sick and almost died from a disease called deformed wing virus. (due to varroa mites being to high) Well, now it has come back very strong, but never made any honey for itself so I was forced to start feeding it sugar syrup for about 10 days.

Now things are looking good for my 2 hives and I pray things continue.

As you can see, this hobby can be extremely challenging and you really have to commit to helping the bees no matter what mood you are in. I have had to drag myself up to visit the bees some days when I felt very tired. (my problem is the supers are to heavy for me and although I watch when I lift them and know the proper way, I always end up with a sore back afterwards)

Stay in touch and if you want me to come look at your bees, I will be happy to help you. I am also a new beekeeper, but have learned so much this year. Sometimes 2 heads are better than one.

Sincerely,
Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 08:44:32 pm »
Annette, Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.  Like I said in my earlier post this is my first colony and I don't know how or when to split them.  I was thinking of moving some frames and accompanying bees to a new hive and supplying a new queen for the new colony.  Is that how it is done? Is the new colony referred to as a split?  Thanks,

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 08:50:22 pm »
welcome to the site  :-D
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2007, 03:50:55 pm »
Dear ElDoBill

Listen, there are many reasons for splitting a hive and you have to be clear why you are doing it. I want to refer you to a website by Michael Bush. He is an experienced beekeeper on this forum and has a section totally devoted to splits and there outcome.

Can anyone please help me to post Michael's website for this gentleman????? There is a way to do this so all you have to do is click on it.

When you have a general question about beekeeping, then you can post on the "General Beekeeping" site. That is where everyone asks questions about things. Like I said, I am a new beekeeper so sometimes I feel unsure on how to respond, so perhaps some experienced people can help to answer your question also.

My opinion about your split is, I do not think this is a good time of the year because the bees will not have enough time right now to build up really strong before fall and winter come. We already had our main nectar flow in May and now it is very dry and the bees are not bringing in much nectar to make honey. We should get a small flow in the fall when it gets cooler, but they still will not be able to build up enough honey to get through the winter. Yes, when you divide the hive, it is referred to as a split. Of course, I do not know what the situation is with your hives. Lets see what other beekeepers say about this.

Sincerely,
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
http://www.bushfarms.com

OK I tried this, now I have to post it to see if it works.

Yes, it works, so thanks for the help!!!!

Annette

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2007, 01:40:21 pm »
Thank you all for your help.  Between this foram and the other web site I have learned a lot in a short time.

Offline ElDoBill

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2007, 09:27:54 pm »
Annette, Sorry I wabn't more clear in my prior post.  I was referring to splitting my colony rather than getting a nuc or package next spring.
Thanks again, Bill

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 10:32:30 pm »
That is what I understood from your post. That you wanted to split your one hive. Anyway, let us know what you will do and how it all goes. good luck with it all, and do not forget that I can help you look inside your hive if the need arises.

And also thank you Kathyp for this info. I will try this also to see if it works out better for me.

Sincerely,
Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 11:59:19 pm »
OK, now your killing me. I am terrible with computers. So what exactly is different with this??? I don't understand.

Annette

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2007, 11:53:24 am »
OK, thanks, I will try different ways to do this.

Have a great day,
Annette