Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Openings for my top bar hives  (Read 2703 times)

Offline watercarving

• House Bee
    • John Call Designs
Openings for my top bar hives
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:02 pm »
I can't decide how to do my openings. Do you think it's better to have several 3/4" holes across the front entrance or just a long slit? Should I have a hole up high on the front for ventilation?

Thanks.
--------------
www.johncall.com - adventures in woodcarving and country life.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Openings for my top bar hives
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 05:56:16 pm »
I had one with 1/2" x 6"  open perpendicular to the bars right under the bars, one with 1/2" x6" opening perpendicular to the bars at the bottom, a barrel hive with a bung opening at the bottom.   All seemed to work fine, but I seem to like the upper entrance better as they seemed to fly earlier/colder that the other ones.  Granted with the limited sample size, I can't really draw any conclusions.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 08:29:56 pm »
From what I understand, people tend to close/plug holes in the winter and reopen them when the weather gets warmer. Seems that stoppers in round holes would be best for that.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 10:51:36 pm »
I had one with 1/2" x 6"  open perpendicular to the bars right under the bars

I don't have any practical experience yet, but for what it is worth, with the TBH I am going to build, I am planning the above.  I think I read somewhere that 1/4" is good enough.  If that is the case, I am going 1/4".
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 08:48:40 am »
Although 1/4"  may be enough, I think you will find that they try to chew it bigger.  Even the Langstroths use 3/8" for winter.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008, 09:49:39 am »
Cool...thanks for the info.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:34:14 pm »
Mine are all just a gap at the front bar, and no hole.  If the bars are not recessed this is all you need.  If the bars are recessed then you need to prop the lid 1/4" to get an entrance.  I hate drilling holes in equipment. When I had a bottom entrance on my top bar hive I had skunk problems.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything