Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Corned Beef  (Read 7636 times)

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Corned Beef
« on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:46 pm »
The sauerkraut thread just brought to mind it is time to make corned beast.  I say beast because my herbivore of choice to make it is not a beef but venison.  The old way of making corned beef was similiar to making the sauerkraut actually except more emphasis on salt.  I have done it that way but unlike the originators of the process, I cannot get used to the idea that mold on top can be ignored.  At least that is what I was told.  A much easier and faster way is a gallon zip lock bag in the vegetable keeper.

I wash and pat dry a roast no thicker than four inches and of a size that will fit in the bag and seal.  Lay meat on a large plate or cutting board and liberally sprinkle Mortons Tenderquick over all sides of the meat.  Thoroughly cover all surfaces but do not cake it on.  Put meat in zip lock.  Throw in a generous handful of pickling spice and three or four bay leaves.  Seal the bag and put in the refrigerator.  I use a vegetable bin where it is out of the way.  Turn the bag every day for six days.  On the seventh day, roast or boil as you would with any corned beef.  If I am not going to immediately use it, I quickly rinse it off and freeze it.  I have found that the best wrap for meat before freezing is shrink wrap.  I get a roll 18" long and it lasts for many many years.  I wrap multiple critters a year and it provides air tight storage and protects against freezer burns well as anything.     

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
Re: Corned Beef
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:55:05 pm »
I will be sorely disappointed if i don't get 15 admonishments about non food safe plastic!  I will chance it.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:37:51 pm »
Tsk, Tsk... :-D

I'm going to give this a try as soon as gun season opens! Thanks for the recipe Vance!!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »
Corned venison!!!!    Another one of my favorites.   I make about 50lbs a year.  I wait until Dec when my attached garage stays about 40deg and make it in a cooler.  My brine ingredients is about the same except I use just plain sodium nitrite cure instead of tender quick and also add a cinnimmon stick or two crushed.  I mix cure and spices in cold water and pump all the chucks to 15% of their weight.  I then let them soak flipping daily for a week.  Nothing like corned venison and cabbage then the next day reubens with home made kraut.   Another thing I did last year was toss in all the deer hearts.   They corned perfectly

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:33 pm »
I thought his was my secret!
I do at least a deer worth every year. ( not the loins )
I make my brine and seal it in one long vacuum bag.
I let it cure in a cooler full off ice water in the garage.
After its done I freeze.

It's great boiled but even better cooked 1/2 way coated with coriander etc and smoked.
Awesome Pastrami!

The scraps can be cured for a day and made into some awesome hash with swamp cabbage!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 07:55:25 pm »
"It's great boiled but even better cooked 1/2 way coated with coriander etc and smoked.
Awesome Pastrami!"

I'm writing this one down!   Thank you

I'm making 10 lbs of fresh polish for this weekend

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 09:53:36 pm »
Corned venison!!!!    Another one of my favorites.   I make about 50lbs a year.  I wait until Dec when my attached garage stays about 40deg and make it in a cooler.  My brine ingredients is about the same except I use just plain sodium nitrite cure instead of tender quick and also add a cinnimmon stick or two crushed.  I mix cure and spices in cold water and pump all the chucks to 15% of their weight.  I then let them soak flipping daily for a week.  Nothing like corned venison and cabbage then the next day reubens with home made kraut.   Another thing I did last year was toss in all the deer hearts.   They corned perfectly
[
This is basically how I cure hams before cold smoking them for about a week.  Why can't I have feral hogs to control!  I am sure I wouldn't like them it if I did.  /quote]

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:27:52 pm »
Rifle season starts this saturday.   Need some videos of every bodies favorite meats.   

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:50:37 pm »
Great thread, thanks for sharing! Never even heard of corned venison. Always looking for new ways to prepare it. Sounds good.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2012, 04:05:40 am »
I am also fond of canning venison.  I put it up in wide mouth pints which is all two people need with a couple of spuds for a meal.  My father said to put a teaspoon of beef or pork fat and a teaspoon of salt in each jar but I prefer using a heaping tea spoon of a good commercial beef soup base.  Don't use scraps.  Cut chunks and don't pack it in, just stack it loosely.  It also makes a difference how you put it in.  I pack it so the muscle runs paralell to the sides of the jar so it doesn't expand on to the lid.  240 degrees in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes.   I like canning fish too, especially the boney ones as the bones go away.  I put a teaspoon of kosher salt in each jar and sometimes a couple tablespoons of a good brown mustard.  Pressure cook the same. 

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:52 am »
I am also fond of canning venison.  I put it up in wide mouth pints which is all two people need with a couple of spuds for a meal.  My father said to put a teaspoon of beef or pork fat and a teaspoon of salt in each jar but I prefer using a heaping tea spoon of a good commercial beef soup base.  Don't use scraps.  Cut chunks and don't pack it in, just stack it loosely.  It also makes a difference how you put it in.  I pack it so the muscle runs paralell to the sides of the jar so it doesn't expand on to the lid.  240 degrees in the pressure cooker for 90 minutes.   I like canning fish too, especially the boney ones as the bones go away.  I put a teaspoon of kosher salt in each jar and sometimes a couple tablespoons of a good brown mustard.  Pressure cook the same.  
give this a try you wont be disapointed.  cut all the meat off the ribs and stuff in quart jars.   add salt and fill about 1/4 of the way with barbaque sause.   Canning cooks all the fat out and floats it to the top. When cooled it hardens and can all be spooned out before reheating. The remainder is just great rib strips
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 12:42:34 pm by danno »

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2012, 11:42:52 am »
That is a capital idea!  I spend a lot of time trying to defat that meat between the ribs.  I know exactly what you are saying about the tallow being easy to take off the top after canning.  Thanks for that one sir.   

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 12:54:52 am »
All the meat off an average Florida deers ribs wouldn't fill a pint!!!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 02:37:07 am »
I have killed mule deer does that were well over 150 and whitetail does that hit that.  My biggest whitetail buck weighed 275 on a game check scale.  So lots of rib meat and fat on those.  Not much for horns but 8 years old and huge.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 08:45:36 am »
Our northern deer have more weight in fat then florida's deer have in meat

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 02:09:44 pm »
99% of the time I would agree. Last year I shot a doe that had more fat on it than the adult buffalo that we had raised on our farm. My neighbor had been feeding them all summer long on his property. Said that I had shot his deer.  :? She was good eating. Tenderloins tasted just like a good quality beef.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kingbee

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
?Years ago I killed one close to a cow-calf creep feeder operation that looked like a fattening hog after he was skinned.

Offline Mbeck

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2012, 01:21:53 am »
99% of the time I would agree. Last year I shot a doe that had more fat on it than the adult buffalo that we had raised on our farm. My neighbor had been feeding them all summer long on his property. Said that I had shot his deer.  :? She was good eating. Tenderloins tasted just like a good quality beef.
Jim

Shhh!
No need for anyone to come further south than Atlanta. Nothing to see here but Disney!

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2012, 02:42:29 am »
Don't worry!  You can keep all the chiggers, fireants, moccassins, small hive beetles and waxworms for your own use.  But I have to admit that I don't like to see three inches of snow on my car tonight and 25 degrees and supposed to be in the single digits night time later in the week!  Sigh.