Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Weedeater  (Read 19174 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Weedeater
« on: June 06, 2010, 10:30:28 pm »
My weedeater died today at the age of 15 years :'( Repair cost more then it's worth :-x I been lookin on the net but I would like some input :? On the bright side This old lady said she would buy me one all I have do Is her lawn till I work it off 50x100 lot at 25 buck's a pop 1/2 hour time to do the job :-D I will be getting one soon I have a part two video that I need to make 8-) Thank's for all replies  8-)

:-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Weed eater
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 10:34:27 pm »
must have been a very good weed eater!  both mine are down and my little rototiller.  have been told it's the ethanol crap that kills them.  nothing to do by rebuild or by new.   :(
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Re: Weed eater
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 12:12:37 am »
must have been a very good weed eater!  both mine are down and my little rototiller.  have been told it's the ethanol crap that kills them.  nothing to do by rebuild or by new.   :(
You got that one right flipn corn fuel better stop on that one before I
 get in trouble

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Weedeater
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:58 am »
should have read 'buy new'.

anyone else know anything about fuel fouling the tools, or is that just UL?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:44:46 am »
during the past ten years this crap gas has cost me two carbs on my Mitsubishi generator.   aviation  and racing gas have no ethenol but cost way too much to use.  there are several posts on the web of people trying to remove or distill the alcohol from the gas but i've seen nothing reasonable.   adding water, agitating and allowing the fuel and water / ethenol mix to settle to the bottom is one way.   to add insult to injury, the fed is mandating higher ethenol levels down the road.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 12:08:18 pm »
Any body know about the ECHO brand they are the only one that has a 5 year warranty.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:17:45 pm »
Ethenol you can thank the tree hugger and the corn farmer's for that crap. The only way I like corn is on the cob or when it's made into a nice clear butt kickin beverage :-D

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:18 pm »
Any body know about the ECHO brand they are the only one that has a 5 year warranty.
very good.    so far my weedeater, blower, cultivator and chainsaw have had no negative response to the ethanol. could be due to the mixing of the fuel with oil.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »
I think the newer ones have different stuff inside so they can handle the ethenol

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 01:28:26 pm »
I think the newer ones have different stuff inside so they can handle the ethenol
i talked to a Honda Power Equipment rep last year and he told me that Honda is becoming concerned about the damage to their four stroke carbs with the new blends coming down the pike.  my two Honda generators are doing fine at this point.   i'm going to start mixing two stroke oil for my four strokes at about 1/5 the two stroke ratio.  maybe it will help protect the carb's insides a bit.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 01:35:36 pm »
We can still buy ethenol free gas out here but it cost more. And never send some one to get it for you they forget it when their at the place and then get it at the gas station and don't tell you. That is what happend to me :-x

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 02:52:44 pm »
We can still buy ethenol free gas out here but it cost more. And never send some one to get it for you they forget it when their at the place and then get it at the gas station and don't tell you. That is what happend to me :-x

Just checked ethenol free priem 3.60 10%ethenol 2.97

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 04:03:10 pm »
Geez, talk about a mark up for the pure stuff.   This reminds me of years ago when they came out with the New Coke.   What did we try to pay for the real stuff?  One day we will try to teach our kids that gas came from oil back in the day.  (And it had lead in it too.)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:01 am »
Ive had a husqvarna for nearly 10 years now and always impressed with it every time it starts on the first pull. Ethanol killed my 4 wheeler for awhile until I ran a bottle of injector cleaner through it.  I think that any engine that isnt run on a daily basis does seem to have problems with the ethanol blends. If I were guessing, I would think that its the condensation from the alcohol.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2010, 10:59:49 am »
Shindawa T270 last weedeater you will ever own. Just rip out the screen from the exhaust and it will run forever

Keith

Offline jgaito

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2010, 11:29:05 am »
Shindawa T270 last weedeater you will ever own. Just rip out the screen from the exhaust and it will run forever

Keith

no doubt about that.   i still see some T25's floating around.  a bit tough on the wallet though.  Shindaiwa is now owned and operated by Echo.  the trimmers are still of a Shindaiwa design but saws will be built by Echo.  not sure but probably the blowers as well.

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2010, 12:42:10 pm »
The ECHO comes with a 5year customer warranty the Shindawa has a 2 year. My old weedeater was a shindawa it lasted 15 years of hard and I mean HARD work.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »
The ECHO comes with a 5year customer warranty the Shindawa has a 2 year. My old weedeater was a shindawa it lasted 15 years of hard and I mean HARD work.

Then to me it seems the warranties don't really matter

Keith

Offline bull

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:51 pm »
i have a husky and its good ,but i grabe my shindawa combo weed eater and pole saw. with the feed through head its worth it 40 pluse feet of line. i know its pricy but it realy work .

Offline marksmith

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 06:45:28 pm »
Pure-gas.org will give state by state locations of known ethanol free gasoline.

I have run only petrol through my saws/weedeaters/boat for 4 years now. The fuel stays 'fresh' for 5 months in a can (probably longer but I finally used all of it) and my saws like it.  IMHO Ethanol is the product of good lobbyists.  We are SUBSIDIZING corn to keep the price up, and the HFCS and ethanol derived from our SUBSIDIZED corn is used because its cheap.  I say pull the subsidies and see where the cards truly lay.  Its bad enough that the greenies are forcing the 10% as it is (another 'subsidy' IMHO)  I bet if you come to brass tacks, the ethanol costs more per gallon to make then sell.

Funny thing... If I run clear premium, my mileage increases to the point that its $.02 per mile CHEAPER to run the clear fuel.  This is looking at 1500 mile average.
Mark Smith - Elkton, OR