Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: NEW NUCS  (Read 1223 times)

Offline GLOCK

• House Bee
NEW NUCS
« on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:47 am »
Hi all .I picked up my nucs two days ago.
I put my new five frames of bees in there hive with one frame of honey and 4 empty frames.
I have about 15 frames of honey and would like to feed it to my new bees.
Should i be giving them syrup all so  and how long do you all think that one frame will last ?
I'm trying not to bother them  i sure would like them to start building up for winter.
Last year was the first year of beekeeping and i got package bees  and lost both hives by DEC. This year a got 3 northen raised nucs and the guy i got them from gave me some nice brood and queens .
This guy let me go right in with him and check every thing out. I had a great time.
I have some drone frames i would like to use  this year for mites and was wondering when they should go in the hive  and where.
Thank you and have a great day.
Say hello to the bad guy.
35hives  {T} OAV

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: NEW NUCS
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 10:18:19 am »
You can feed the honey to them and I'd recommend it.  Instead of the 4 empty frames put in the honey frames.  They'll convert it into bees without having to draw out he frames.  Once those bees have emerged the population will be strong enough to be more efficient at drawing out frames (assuming a flow is on or they're being fed).

As for drone frames I use them too.  I put them in either the 3 or 7 position (10 frame deep).  Once you put the 2nd deep on there put in the frame and let them draw them all out.  It may sound odd but you really want the 2nd deep fully drawn out for overwintering, and thinking ahead is never a bad thing.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 11:55:24 am »
Great that you have frames of honey!  Feed that - no need to feed syrup too.
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 05:14:38 pm »
I would leave the 15 frames in the freezer until fall and add to the hives then as they need.   Let them build up on their own this summer, then see.