Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: PACK DOWN FOR THE WINTER  (Read 3345 times)

Offline Mardak

• House Bee
PACK DOWN FOR THE WINTER
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:21:30 am »
Should I be offering syrup over the pack down period? Ideas from anyone please.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: PACK DOWN FOR THE WINTER
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 11:17:52 am »
How much food do they have stored already, is it enough to get them through the winter, Is it too cold for feeding?

Offline col c

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 09:11:17 am »
Mardak
 Iv'e been trying to reduce my hive, after trying to about a month ago. I managed to get 1 box off (Ideal's) but, as they were still making combe, I decided that they were still producing.
 Yesterday lunchtime I went back, and the 2 top boxes were devoid of bee's, so they came off. They were in the same comdition as I left them a month ago. The next box had plenty of bee's, so I placed an excluder  under it, and today I removed another box. I noticed that they had made combe on the bottom of the excluder overnight. That suggests they are still producing ??
 They are now down to 4 boxes, from 8 at the peak(April) and are quite active when the sun is out, and are coming back loaded, the advantage of being in suburbs.
  Mardak, I don't think you will have to feed them, as long as you can see them returning with their back legs loaded. Mine are on to something pale yellow at the moment.
 I would only be doing the "must do " stuff at present, in and out quickly on a calm day, around the middle of the day. No snooping to justify your whim !
  Good Luck
 Colin in Melbourne

Offline philinacoma

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 08:08:48 pm »
Hi Col,

Are you sure you mean an excluder or do you mean an escape board?

If you do mean an excluder, you should not be using one over winter. The queen needs to be able to follow the workers to keep warm.

Offline Col Collyer

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 01:09:34 am »
 Phil
 Correct, an escape board is what I meant
 Sorry bout that
 Cheers
 Col

anything