Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trees  (Read 1532 times)

Offline tincan

• House Bee
trees
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:32:48 pm »
when they talk about a popular bloom are they talking trees or is this a flower in some other part of the country thanks

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: trees
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:01:29 pm »
poplar is a tree down here in the south.  they grow fast and produce a lot of nectar.  they are starting to bloom now in mid georgia and east central alabama.  you here them called tulip trees and tulip poplars because of the shape and size of the flower.  i'm not sure what their northern limit is.

Offline Hemlock

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »
This link shows the 'Native Range' of Yellow poplar.  Though pockets and individuals can exits almost anywhere outside of this range.
Yellow Poplar range

Here's a description of the tree.
More info
Make Mead!

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 07:14:42 pm »
we have thousands of poplar trees in wisconsin its one of the most common trees here but i dont know what kind of poplar it is but they are in bloom I dont see any other thing blooming but bees are foraging on something

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 07:17:04 pm »
Liriodendron tulipifera (tulip tree) is relatively rare in Michigan.  I have one growing in the yard, but it was from a nursery.  Actually, once they get established, they do grow well here.  I raise Prometheus moths on the tulip tree leaves.  

Most populars here are Populus Deltoides (eastern cottonwood).  Good chance that is what you've got in WI too.  Don't know if the bees work them or not.  

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:53:45 pm »
bluebee I dont know what there finding but there coming in and can barely fly  their legs are so full of bright yellow almost orange  pollen  they started as soon as they were in hive like 10 minutes is this normal.  You are right on the cottonwood.

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 10:00:14 pm »
Hey tincan,

In my neck of the woods its a Tulip Poplar. It is a tree. A GREAT BIG tree. I have one on the property that could be over 100 years old. Several are 60 to 80 feet tall. Here is the flower from one at my back deck.

Just thought you'd like to know.

David
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 10:04:01 pm »
I'm not sure where they are because I haven't found them yet. But there are Poplars in bloom down here in the Panhandle. My bee's are bringing in lots of cream colored pollen which according to several sources is from the Poplar.