Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Yellow pine woodware  (Read 2440 times)

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
Yellow pine woodware
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:20:16 am »
Has anyone ever used yellow pine for hive bodies?  I know raw yellow pine will warp quite a bit if left out in the elements and unfinished especially on a hot summer day.  You'll end up with u shaped boards.   I use quite a bit of in to make milled and turned high velocity HVAC registers  for one of my customers so I regularly order descent sized quantities of 4quarter 10'-12' boards from the mill along with red oak, white oak, maple, etc.  Basically I'm saying I can get really high quality, basically defect free, southern yellow pine for very reasonable prices and I was wondering how it holds up to the elements if made into a hive body and painted?  I usually don't mess with anything but redwood, mahogany or one of the other rot/insect resistant woods for exterior use products.  Would this hold up reasonably well for hive bodies?

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Yellow pine woodware
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 07:49:04 am »
>Has anyone ever used yellow pine for hive bodies?

Yes.

> I know raw yellow pine will warp quite a bit if left out in the elements and unfinished especially on a hot summer day.

Sometimes.

> You'll end up with u shaped boards.

If they are nailed together it's usually not that bad.

>I was wondering how it holds up to the elements if made into a hive body and painted?

Better than white pine, but it's a lot heavier.

> I usually don't mess with anything but redwood, mahogany or one of the other rot/insect resistant woods for exterior use products.  Would this hold up reasonably well for hive bodies?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline wtiger

• House Bee
Re: Yellow pine woodware
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:03 am »
thanks

anything