Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello, newb here from Texas  (Read 1994 times)

Offline ktadema

• New Bee
Hello, newb here from Texas
« on: July 18, 2007, 04:43:05 pm »
I just bought a hive of bees from a guy that is getting out of the business.  I've been reading about bees for the past few months and found myself wishing that I had been prepared in the spring when I was lucky enough to find out about this firesale.  I bought a single 10 frame deep full of Italians.  I let them settle in for a few days, and finally smoked them and removed the top.  I was too chicken to take any of the frames out, but they looked very full, plus it's super heavy, so from a first glance, I think I have a good solid, well-established hive.  The exterior and the baseboard appears to be pretty old though.  I just ordered 5 medium supers with frames from Dadant so that I could let this hive expand some before winter.  Anyhow, I'm hoping to read and learn a lot from this forum! 

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
Re: Hello, newb here from Texas
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 09:18:53 pm »
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like the first inspection went well and maybe they will fill them supers up for you.  good luck

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Hello, newb here from Texas
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 09:51:29 pm »
Welcome! If they're full, they will likely need some space. Order a beesuit if you're nervous about inspection, it's something you'll need to do. A few stings make you tolerant of a few more. They aren't so bad. Not that I think you should be trying to get stung, of course. :)
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC