Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarms that seem to settle, then move  (Read 2131 times)

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
Swarms that seem to settle, then move
« on: May 19, 2011, 10:01:36 pm »
I received a call about a swarm (tree #1). Then, the same woman called again to tell me there were two...one in her tree, one in a neighbor's tree (tree #2). By the time I arrived, the woman told me that the swarm in her neighbor's tree had moved...it went high into a huge, tall tree in my caller's backyard (tree #3). There were lots of of bees flying ...more activity than around most swarms I've seen.

I thought I captured the the swarm in my caller's yard (tree #1), and I left them to settle in their box while I went for lunch. But when I returned, the box was essentially empty...and the swarm in tree #3 had grown huge. It was too high to reach (maybe 30 feet high), so I simply left a medium-depth box with frames, old comb, and some lure on a fence beneath it hoping they find it appealing.  

Do you think I found a single swarm early in its transition? Do they sometimes all separate and then reconnect?

I'll be they don't come to my nice box, though.

-Liz
"In a dream I returned to the river of bees" W.S. Merwin

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Swarms that seem to settle, then move
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »
The swarm was probably just getting it together when you showed up.   

Why didn't you climb that tree after that swarm?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 10:29:10 pm »
If one medium is all you left, I'm making the same bet as you. If you had left 2 or 3 mediums stacked, you would have had a better chance.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 10:42:41 pm »
If one medium is all you left, I'm making the same bet as you. If you had left 2 or 3 mediums stacked, you would have had a better chance.

Heck fire.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 12:39:56 am »
You should've been at Bud3...we could have shown you how to drop that swarm with only a .22 and a .357 :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline TwoHoneys

• House Bee
    • TwoHoneys
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 07:01:45 am »
You should've been at Bud3...we could have shown you how to drop that swarm with only a .22 and a .357 :-D

Scott

Hey, Scott...I think I dreamed about this last night! :shock:

-Liz

anything