Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: want to see some chickens hatch?  (Read 9653 times)

Offline akane

• New Bee
want to see some chickens hatch?
« on: February 18, 2009, 02:21:18 pm »
We'll see if I've reached the point I can post links:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/chicken-hatch

Yay now you can impatiently suffer with me while I wait for them to hatch.  :-D

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: want to see some chickens hatch?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »
I'm waiting and watching, but all I see is the shadow of your fan twirling overhead  :yippiechick:

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 05:44:22 pm »
I did mention the torture of waiting around for them to hatch didn't I?  As soon as you give up they will all suddenly pop out of their eggs.  Then the next day everyone complains to me that they sat there for x number of hours and missed it.  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 05:56:16 pm »
I did mention the torture of waiting around for them to hatch didn't I?  As soon as you give up they will all suddenly pop out of their eggs.  Then the next day everyone complains to me that they sat there for x number of hours and missed it.  :-D

Sorry, but I couldn't wait any longer. Nice fan though. Pretty eggs too.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 06:08:05 pm »
Ever watch your grass grow?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 06:26:33 pm »
Ever watch your grass grow?

No but I have watched paint dry

Keith

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 06:42:46 pm »
First one hatched.  Here's a clip http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/1165714

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 06:58:38 pm »
Congratualtions, I am on day 19 right now. Just took them off the turner last night so hopefully some early pips tomorrow. I have another batch in the other incubator set to hatch next week.
What kind are they? The first one there looks like my orps did when they first hatched.

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 07:08:52 pm »
Probably about half the size of your orps. lol  They are japanese bantams and there are 2 blue eggs that are a cross of my easter egger hens and a jap roo.

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 11:47:11 pm »
2 little chickens...  it only took 4hrs...  :roll:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 09:13:18 am »
That was winter bee fever at it's best.  :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 02:07:10 pm »
Camera is now pointed at a brooder full of drying chicks.  :-D

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »
I saw little chickens! I like your camera set up.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 05:25:15 pm »
I have 4 pips right now. I have a mix of olive eggers, wellsummers,ameraucanas and golden cuckoos in the bator right now. I have a bee meeting tonight and they will probably hatch while I am gone.
That is the way it always goes, those little buggers hatch the minute you turn your back  ;)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 11:52:59 pm »
I have 4 pips right now. I have a mix of olive eggers, wellsummers,ameraucanas and golden cuckoos in the bator right now. I have a bee meeting tonight and they will probably hatch while I am gone.
That is the way it always goes, those little buggers hatch the minute you turn your back  ;)

Yeah, a watched pot never boils and a watched egg never hatches.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 04:51:07 pm »
Akane, I saw all your little baby chicks, congrats!!!  And some nice videography, thanks so much for sharing.  Oh Natalie, by now they will have all hatched.  What are you guys hatching rates, I would be curious.  I have an incubator too, it holds 120 eggs, but I never have filled it up.  That is the most satisfying and happy day when they hatch.  I am pretty new to the incubation techniques, but will get better as it goes along. Mine gave up the ghost last fall, my Husband needs to put a new motor in it.  It gave up the day that the eggs I got from Brian hatched, couldn't believe it, it was in the nick of time.  I took them up to the house and raised them inside.  They are cool birds.   Have a most wonderful and awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 07:09:32 pm »
My rates vary, sometimes they are really good and other times forget it. Shipped eggs are a tough thing, but you can hatch the ones from your own flock so much better.
They are fresh and they aren't getting all banged around in shipping.

Offline akane

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 04:23:10 pm »
Shipped eggs 50% is good.  My first hatch was with shipped eggs and I hatched 2 of 24.  :roll:  On my own eggs if I get under 90% I start looking for what went wrong.  Lowest I got was 83% and I set eggs that had been in the fridge for more than a week.  19 of 20 hatched this time.  I did throw out a lot of eggs the first week of this hatch but I don't really count those.  They were either infertile or damaged by being partially frozen since I got them out of my coop when it was -10F.  Nothing I could have done about those.

Ready for the next hatch?

216 quail eggs and 18 chicken eggs.  16 days to go.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 06:15:49 pm »
What do you do with all these birds? Do you sell them or keep them?
I hatched 11 chicks this weekend and I have 33( I think) in the bator now set to hatch wednesday, then I am done.
I am only keeping a few of the chicks in this coming up hatch, I ordered a dozen and this nice woman sent me 3 dozen. Her birds are gorgeous so I will see what hatches, keep 6 or so and I am bringing the rest to a swap on Sunday.
Good luck with your hatch!!!
Cindi,
I dropped my camera taking a picture of some wild turkeys that showed up on my front lawn a while back and I haven't gotten it fixed yet. I will borrow a camera soon so I post pics. I will do it in my olive eggers thread though so I don't hijack this one.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2009, 11:12:11 am »
I know, I know. My kids have a heart attack every time they see the incubator out.  :-D
I say, hey there are alot worse things their mother could be doing.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »
Akane, wow, some pretty nice looking eggs.  The mottled coloured ones look like miniatures of the earth.  Beauties.  Have a most wonderful and great day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2009, 12:23:41 am »
Cindi, now thats really scary...I just saw the pic & thought the exact same thing about the little earths!!  What if that's what we are...just bacteria on eggs in a bator??? Akane, beautiful eggs!  That's a lot of chicks!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 11:50:01 am »
Cindi, now thats really scary...I just saw the pic & thought the exact same thing about the little earths!!  What if that's what we are...just bacteria on eggs in a bator??? Akane, beautiful eggs!  That's a lot of chicks!  J

Oh girl, you make me wanna laugh, you make me wanna shout, I like that sprite in you-ou!!!!  Beautiful and most wonderful wishes to beautiful days to come.  Cindi

Offline zan

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 05:28:10 pm »
Do you have a homemade incubators?

anything