Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: homemade extractor  (Read 8480 times)

Offline Summerbee

• House Bee
    • http://imabkpr.blogspot.com
homemade extractor
« on: December 31, 2005, 01:13:59 pm »
Hello,
  Does anyone have any plans for making extractors from scratch? I hate to buy one at the exorbinant prices of the catalogs. I was thinking taking a 10 gallon bucket and wiring a basket in for maybe one or 2 frames, and modifying the lide with a crank, and having an axel go from lide to bottom.  Then drilling a hole near the bottom and creating a spout mechanism out of something.  
  If nobody has any ideas I'll tell you how my frankenstein extractor turns out.
 Thanx.
People will accept your ideas much more readily if you tell them Benjamin Franklin said it first.
- David H. Comins

http://imabkpr.blogspot.com

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
homemade extractor
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005, 02:02:54 pm »
I made my first exctractor but I do not recommend. The first is that odor of honey leaks and spinning of frames ventilates taste of honey away.  Little exctractor is very cheap. Not good job to do your own.

Here cheapest is 400$

Offline thegolfpsycho

• Field Bee
homemade extractor
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 02:11:18 pm »
There are plans for building your own extractor on beesource.  There is also an extractor called something like the "Little Wonder"  It's only about $138 if I remember right.  A 2 frame tangental model, plastic drum, plastic gears, honey gate, etc.

There was also a fellow on beesource that challenged and built an extractor for about $50.  Looked kinda hazardous to me, but it worked.

M Bush is a big fan of crush and strain until you get your hive count up.  Something to consider.

Offline Jay

• House Bee
By the rude bridge that arched the flood
Their flag to Aprils breeze unfurled
Here once the embattled farmers stood
And fired the shot heard round the world
-Emerson

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
homemade extractor
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 04:45:10 pm »
I would say buy one, in the end it will pay for itself, believe me, bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
homemade extractor
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005, 05:44:32 pm »
I did finally buy one about six years ago, but for 25 years I had bees without an extractor.  Crush and strain works fine.  I didn't buy one until I could afford a REAL one.  I got a 9/18 radial and have never regretted holding out for a serious one.  It still takes too much time.  But crush and strain is faster than a two frame non-reversable.  :)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
homemade extractor
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 02:19:53 am »
What is the "crush & Strain" method?
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

manowar422

homemade extractor
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 10:07:11 am »
Don't over look the possibility of used equipment.

Last year I picked up a hand cranked 9 frame radial
stainless extractor, plastic uncapping tank, scratcher
and knife for $350 off eBay 8)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
homemade extractor
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 01:43:58 pm »
>What is the "crush & Strain" method?

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesharvest.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
homemade extractor
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 06:50:41 pm »
MB,

One of these days I am just going to read your entire website,from front to back, so I will stop asking questions you have already addressed....

Thanks
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
homemade extractor
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 01:24:47 pm »
I realize this is an old thread, but i have a question. When doing crush & strain, does it matter what kind of foundation is used? Does it have to be 100% beeswax, or can duraglit or plasticell be used? thanx in advance.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
homemade extractor
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2006, 12:08:59 pm »
If cost is a major consideration Dadant has a plastic 2 frame tangent for $105.95, new, on page 76 of their current catalog the PLU (aka UPI or IPU) is MOO389.   The shipping weight is listed as 30 lbs but over size restrictions may apply--the catalog doesn't indicate if so.   Contact Terry Avise (tavize@dadant.com) and ask about shipping.  I haven't seen the plastic extractor advertised in their online catalog website.  
They also have a stainless 2 frame tangent for as little as $245.69 on the same page.
You can buy it cheaper than you can make it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
homemade extractor
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2006, 12:21:57 pm »
I bought that stainless steel 2 frame non-revesable exctractor and, while it works well, I wish it had one of the reversing baskets just to speed things up.  When I bought it, however, it was $233.95.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
homemade extractor
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2006, 08:27:38 pm »
I was told to wait until I really needed one (Michael Bush) or pick up a used one (everybody).  I went 4 years looking for a used one.  Found a 9 frame last year, but it was frozen up.  This year a nice stainless, powered 20 frame showed up about an hour away for a great price.  They do show up, but it can take awhile.  If you have enough honey to call it a business, buy a good one.  If not, wait, make cut comb, or break and strain as Michael has said.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything