Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Should bees have access to a vent box  (Read 2611 times)

Offline WayneW

• House Bee
Should bees have access to a vent box
« on: March 14, 2009, 01:22:36 am »
I am planning on building a ventalted box for the top on my stack(s). Similar to the Better Bee version, although mine will be somewhat shorter.........maybe a box aprox 3in high. Should i allow bees in this space (e.g provide an upper entrance) also allowing the to defend it, or should i screen the bottom and the vent holes of the box with something like window screen which should keep out pests? The top entrance i was planning on using would be one integrated into the inner cover.
A beekeeper is not what i am, it's what i aspire to become.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Should bees have access to a vent box
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:43 am »
I'm not familiar with what better bee offers, but I build mine similar to the DE hive vent box.   I like to make them the size of a medium, as it gives enough space to feed with a quart mason jar, and also gives room to put frames in for robbing out without causing fighting.

As far as the screen,  DE hive screens them,  but I removed it.  I found with the screen,  all kinds of bugs (earwigs, spiders, ants) will take up residence in them if the bees do not have access to patrol.   I have never had bees draw comb in them either.  Now I'm sure you can get them to if you cramp them enough.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:05:00 am »
I have something similar to what Robo and others have for a ventilated top box.  My box is only 3" high but I add a medium or deep supper for winter feeding.  I like it because it allows me to feed the bees undisturbed,  allows me to keep a check on them during the winter (undisturbed) and it works really nice for ventilation.  Last summer (first time I ever used this type of a box) I had a "slide-in" screen over the center hole.  This prevented them from moving in to the box.  For the winter I removed the screen and they have access to feed on inverted honey bottles or pollen subs. 

[img=http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/5351/008bcc.th.jpg]http://

My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 09:09:00 am »
Sorry, I goofed on the first pic posting.  Here it is.

My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »
I use homemade Vent boxes,they are made from 1 X 4's , the center hole was enlarged,then a piece of # 8 wire was stapled over the hole.

Using a Illinois box, I can feed from a Qt. jar setting on the wire, I can refill jar with out any flying bees.
For winter I cover the #8 wire with a small piece of cardboard then fill the box with wood mulch, this insulates, breaths, and also absorbs any moisture from the hive below.

During the winter, on a sunny day I can brush the mulch aside, remove the cardboard and look into the hive below, most of the time seeing bees moving around. [ curiosity killed the cat they say, but still fun to look ]

I really like them

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Pi

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 11:24:50 pm »
What ever entrance you want to add, make sure it's just one.
I have a vent box like Robo's with window screen covering the 2" holes.  When the humid dog days of summer settle in down here in the southeast, I take my inner cover off and just put the vent box atop the hive.  Some bees plaster up the window screen with propolis, some don't.  I just blast the screen lightly with a propane torch and put it back on.  They get bored in the summer.

anything