Welcome, Guest

Poll

Would you use beekeeping software?

No I would never use software
Yes but only if it was free to use
Yes and I would pay a small fee if the software was worth it

Author Topic: Would you use beekeeping software?  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
Would you use beekeeping software?
« on: November 26, 2006, 02:25:48 pm »
I am considering having a program written that would track hive info such as location, meds, queen, feeding, equipment on the hive, stored equipment, honey production and various other beekeeping bookkeeping. It would be a web based program accessible from anywhere. The reason for this poll is that I don't want to spend the money to develop this if there is no interest in others using it.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Would you use beekeeping software?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 05:51:12 pm »
Greg, I am kind of an old-fashioned type of girl.  I like to keep written records.  Mainly because they are there, always will be, (of course under extraordinary circumstances).  I love the chance to practice my handwriting, with so much work on the computer now, I don't very often take pen in hand, and I love to write, taking pride in a very nice handwriting that I can thank my grade school teacher for so diligently teaching us how to form correctly the written letters that flow to make a word, I excelled and always got A's in "writing".  Great day, good luck if you do have the software created.  On second thought if I were to see it in use, there could be a chance that I would be willing to entertain the thought, it would actually probably be a good backup to the written word.  Awesome, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 08:59:51 pm »
I would use it only if it were based on barcodes or rfid tech. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to paperwork, and entering a bunch of stuff on my laptop on a hot july day out in the bee field, well I probably wouldn't do it. nor would I do it when I got home.
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 09:55:54 pm »
If you take your laptop to the beeyard with you be sure to take along some rubbing alcohol to removed the proplis and honey from the key borad when your done.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Doorman

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:43:05 pm »
lick the honey off the keys. Waste not Want not :-D :-D
Some call me a bee farmer, I prefer rancher. What
with millions of tiny livestock foraging the open range, spring and fall round ups. Boy howdy branding their little butts sure is tedious.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 01:41:53 pm »
i'm with cindi, except for the good handwriting part. :-)

over the years i have kept log books on all of the horses that have gone through our place.  included in the logs are pictures and detailed records of breeding, injuries, treatments, etc.  they are fun to go back and read and barring a fire or something, they will last much longer than records i keep on the computer.

besides.....as bad as my handwriting is, my notes constitute a rather secure code that even i sometimes can not break on review.

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 05:02:37 pm »
I would use it only if it were based on barcodes or rfid tech. I'm pretty lazy when it comes to paperwork, and entering a bunch of stuff on my laptop on a hot july day out in the bee field, well I probably wouldn't do it. nor would I do it when I got home.

Bidata has Barcode support for symbol palm PDA :-) I am also working on PPC barcode support. But it is not web based and will not be.

best regards Jorn Johanesson apimo@apimo.dk

http://apimo.dk

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 05:15:07 pm »
If I was gonna keep any kind of records I could write it down faster than firing up the computer, pulling up the file, getting to the place to make the entry..........
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 11:42:18 pm »
If you take your laptop to the beeyard with you be sure to take along some rubbing alcohol to removed the proplis and honey from the key borad when your done.
Ha, ha, the propolis, what a quandry for sure.  I have had my hands so full of it and honey that I could barely even do a thing.  I found out just the other day that we had a product in our home that is called Go-Jo or Jo-Jo or something like that that is fantastic.  It is like a liquid pumice soap with some kind of mineral oil in it.  You all probably have it available, I just don't know what is available outside of Canada.  This product we have comes in an orange jug.  Anyways, it is absolutely fabulous for removing the sticky propolis within a moment or two and at the same time adds oil to soften the skin.  I was beyond surprised.  I had always before used isopropyl alcohol to remove propolis and that is not good for me, I know that, but it works.  Anyone else used this product I talked about, I hate to try and retype the name?  Great day. I found that trying to smoke a cigarette once I left the beeyard, fingers full of propolis was something short of ridiculous.  a couple of burned lips because the cig stuck to my fingers had probably prompted me to quit smoking.  Cindi.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 11:49:32 pm »
i'm with cindi, except for the good handwriting part. :-)

over the years i have kept log books on all of the horses that have gone through our place.  included in the logs are pictures and detailed records of breeding, injuries, treatments, etc.  they are fun to go back and read and barring a fire or something, they will last much longer than records i keep on the computer.

besides.....as bad as my handwriting is, my notes constitute a rather secure code that even i sometimes can not break on review.

Wow, I did it, I think, I had to modify this post because I wound up having my post in the quoted part.  We'll see.  Kathy, beekeeping records are actually really fun to go over.  I was looking at some pics on my computer of my hives at the end of April last year.  I saw one hive that I had 2 boxes, a solid inner cover and another box on top of that.  I was befuddled and thought, what on earth was I doing.  So I pulled out my little blue book of records that are really roughly written and found out why on earth I had done what looked like a really stupid thing.  I know that it was.  I had a colony package queen that failed.  So I thought that I would put this 2 pound package on top of another colony to keep it warm until I got the new queen for it.  So, right or wrong in this method, it made sense to me by my diary, so I was able to see why I had moved to do this action.  We have kept horses for so many years too.  My girls were always very involved in pony club, Prince Phillip games and everything you could imagine.  They both grew up, got married, lost interest, my husband and I carried on with their horses, and their husband's horses as well.  Well, they finally stopped any interest altogether and we plain and simply got sick of hauling hay, hauling ____, hauling water, farrier and vet work and the myriad of other things that go on with horses, we finally said to heck with it and we no longer have horses.  Not to say that when the grandson become cowboys, we won't do it all again.  Yikes!!!!  Great day.  Cindi
« Last Edit: November 28, 2006, 09:58:32 am by Cindi »

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2006, 09:15:18 am »
We have GoJo down here.  You can usually buy it in Auto parts stores

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2006, 10:00:19 am »
Ah, so I guess GoJo is probably a product that is sold the world over I bet.  Anyways,it is great stuff, we have guys who do alot of mechanics around here and they are always muddling around with GoJo, the love it.  great day.  Cindi

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2006, 10:07:25 am »
We have GoJo down here.  You can usually buy it in Auto parts stores

But would you use it to clean your laptop/palm/ppc device with it :) I do'nt think so. Instead of cover the computer with a plasitic bag. Use some burstrips to place your handhelds to a plate big enough also for a notebook. By the way making notes on paper on a rainey day! or when the bees deside that enough is enough and start to chase you leaving your notes back and taking cover . now a wind comes and wupti notes spread all over. think about making notes for 1000 hives :) Make more cases yourself.

best regards Jorn Johanesson