Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Freezing wax scrapings  (Read 1895 times)

Offline _Brenda_

• House Bee
Freezing wax scrapings
« on: August 19, 2008, 04:22:59 pm »
Is there a limit to how long you can keep wax scrapings in the freezer, before you melt it?
and once melted, how do you store it?
Brenda

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Freezing wax scrapings
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 04:29:57 pm »
Can I add something to Brenda's question.   If wax from crush and strain is not placed in the freezer can wax moth hatch out of it

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 05:14:44 pm »
Is there a limit to how long you can keep wax scrapings in the freezer, before you melt it?

Indefinitely.

once melted, how do you store it?

I just keep mine in a plastic storage box in a cool place.  I've had it in the freezer too, but if you take it out, make sure you open it back up to let the moisture out, otherwise you'll get mildew on it.

If wax from crush and strain is not placed in the freezer can wax moth hatch out of it

I have had it left out for a few days with no problems, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2008, 11:30:53 pm »
I never even put my wax cappings into the freezer. I washed them really good in warm water, layed them out on a paper towel overnight and when they were dry, I placed them into a large tupperware. Just kept it stored with my other beekeeping stuff in the barn. It melted up beautifully into this.

Offline eri

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 04:31:13 pm »
I have a couple of large blocks of beeswax that must be at least 30 years old. They've been stored any number of places over the years. Now they're in an open garage on a shelf. No damage, just some dirt on the surface. Melted off the dirt on one and used the clean wax for candles.
On Pleasure
Kahlil Gibran
And to both, bee and flower, the giving and the receiving of pleasure is a need and an ecstasy.
People of Orphalese, be in your pleasures like the flowers and the bees.

anything