Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: feeding mollasses  (Read 2197 times)

Offline thomast55

• New Bee
feeding mollasses
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:26:12 am »
Has anyone ever feed sorgum mollassas to there bees ? I've got some that has turned dark and was going to pitch it in the trash ,but I had a thaught about feeding the bees . Wanted to get some opinions first though . Thanks .

Offline EasternShore

• House Bee
  • Tending 50K angry insects is just .........crazy!
    • OMG Apiary
Re: feeding mollasses
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 01:00:59 pm »
PITCH IT!

I'm sure one of our sages will give you plenty of reason's. Too many solids was the reason I heard..but don't quote me..hehe
Anything worth doing is worth doing well.
We are the keepers, it is our duty to preserve life.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 01:26:01 pm »
why pitch it just because it's dark?

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 01:29:22 pm »
I'd eat it.  It will keep forever.  Just heat it up if it crystallized.  Dark is wonderful.

As for bees, it's poisonous.  Between the excessive solids and the excessive iron and the excessive HMF it's not good for bees.  USDA has done studies and considers it poisonous to bees.

In reality if it was fed in the spring, when cleansing flights aren't a problem, and watered down with some sugar water, you might get by with it, but why risk it?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline 1of6

• House Bee
  • Always learning...
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:37:24 pm »
Reason not to feed Molasses:  I think it's because it causes diarrhea in bees...

MODIFICATION:  Michael Bush types more quickly than I do, and is usually more correct than I am as well.