Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Refrigerating frames  (Read 1166 times)

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
Refrigerating frames
« on: July 04, 2013, 02:07:29 pm »
What happens to sealed and/or partially sealed honey frames if they are kept in the refrigerator (not freezer)?

I bought a second refrigerator so I could occasionally put honey frames in the top freezer.  An 8 frame medium box fits perfectly in there.

But now I just had a big hive swarm and they have way more room than they can defend.  I want to take an unfinished honey supper or two off to reduce their space.  The frames are drawn out and mostly filled with nectar but not capped.  My freezer is already full so I was thinking about putting this super in the refrigerator.  If I leave it out it seems wax moths always eventually find a way in.  Anyone had any experience with frames in a refrigerator?

Linda D.
linda d

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Refrigerating frames
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 02:11:19 pm »
I do it quite often. It works well.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
Re: Refrigerating frames
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 04:41:09 pm »
I had a hive that went queenless and got weak before I realized it. that had two supers of uncapped honey, so I took the supers off and put them on two other hives for them to finish and cap and it work fine.

anything