Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: hello from France  (Read 2320 times)

Offline Bil

• New Bee
hello from France
« on: October 21, 2009, 05:13:33 pm »
Hello,
I'm a new member, I live in France and am new to Beekeeping. I followed a course at Veterinary college at the beginning of the year during which we worked with Dadant hives. I read a lot and discovered the Warré hive and decided that it was better suited to my beliefs so I dropped the Dadant and went with Warré. I’m still feeling my way and very unsure of myself but I am amazed at how gentle the bees are.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: hello from France
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 09:31:45 pm »
hi bil, we have members here who keep all kinds of hives.  if you are after particular info, try the search function.  if that doesn't help, just jump in with info and questions.  we have other members from france.  must be a good beekeeping country!  :-)

Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 10:31:29 pm »
Hello and Welcome Bil
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny

Offline Schoon

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 08:14:48 pm »
Hello Bil good to have you with us.
Bobby

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 11:31:52 am »
Bill, welcome to our forum, so great you have found us.  It is cool how so many new members from different parts of the world are joining us.  It is wonderful to hear of different aspects of beekeeping other places too.  Stick around, we love new members.  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales, experiences, make new friends, and learn a whole lotta information.  This is a powerful place to learn, with so many advanced beekeepers all the way down to people that have not even got their colonies, yet........Ask your questions, all questions are good, no matter how you may ever feel that they are unimportant to others, not true, we were all beginning at one point in time.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, with great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Bil

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2009, 02:13:28 pm »
Thanks to those who welcomed me to the forum. I'm not sure if this is the right place to reply but I hope it is. Autumn is coming in over here and night time temperatures are down to 6-8°C so the activity in the hive is slowing down too. I got my bees too late in the year so the colony is small. I'm worried that they won't make it through winter so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Bil

Please consider the environment before printing this e-mail 

Offline Michael Judd

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 12:08:00 pm »
Bil,
Hi and welcome.
I am in France as well actually in the Alpes Maritimes.

Sorry I missed your arrival I have not been on the site for a while.
Any way I am new too, I got my 2 hives in May.

In Early Sept, I was strongly advised to feed my bees as they did not have enough stores to last the winter.
I got a feeder and some sirup. and they are doing well.  I got these from the local coop I also found a bee school near Nice called Ceram.

In fact in this area July and Aug are dead months with no pollen and as soon as it rained on Sept 11 they started gathering pollen again and are still at it. The rate of pollen arrivals at the hive quadrupled and is still today at about one a second.
I find the the site to be wonderful and everybody is so helpful.  However I find that it is important to note where someone is located as the climate conditions are extremely different.

Please feel free to ask me any thing I will be most pleased to help if i can.
Finally can I recommend you type "Linda's Bees"  into google. Linda has the most wonderful blog with pics and videos.  She is a member here and is most charming too.  I am sure you will find her site to be most informative

Michael

Offline USC Beeman in TN

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 11:04:41 pm »
Welcome!  I have seen a bunch of bee videos on YouTube that are French.
De Colores,
Ken

anything