Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just Starting in the Ozarks  (Read 2701 times)

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
Just Starting in the Ozarks
« on: March 01, 2008, 05:21:18 pm »
Hello everyone.  I am just getting started this year in beekeeping.  A friend gave me a hive and all of his supplies (from a astarter kit).  He got it all mostly just to learn a bit but thought his hives had died.  We went out, and there were bees in there.  I have moved that hive to my farm and bought another kit.  I am planning on at least one more to start and will order bees from the local farm store next week.  I have been readinng a lot and really have enjoyed reading all of the posts.  It all seems a bit overwhelming, and I am afraid I will do something silly and kill all of the bees.  Hopefully, I can avoid that with close obervation and frequent questions.  I am going to try to join the local association because having no one to show me is difficult.

I have two boys who will help me and bees seem the next step on our 40 acre place.  We have a uge garden, plant crops for the naimals and are starting a wildfower meadow this year.  I hope the bees are happy here.

Brian.
Brian

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: Just Starting in the Ozarks
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:36:15 pm »
Brian, welcome to the forum, you've come to the best place to learn about bees!  Don't worry, things will work out, you'll make mistakes, we all do!  Remember, no question is dumb, many here are happy to help.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 06:18:57 pm »
Welcome Brian
Sounds like your place is great for bees AND having them there will in help all your crops!  I'm new too, and questions are how we learn!!  Reading the posts answer so many of the questions I would have asked so keep reading!

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 06:28:47 pm »
Welcome to the bee world. Maybe this might help ( March 14 & 15 ) in Springfield , at the Clarion Hotel Missouri Beekepers spring meeting will be held . Lots of speakers and meet lots of beeks . Hope to see you there .Starts 1200 friday 800 saturday .

Offline Pond Creek Farm

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:37:36 pm »
The state association sent me an email just yesterday on that, and I was excited to see that the meeting is in Springfield.  Spring break starts the 15th, and my wife tells me that I am going on a vacation to Orlando.  I will be there on Friday, but Saturday, I am afraid, is booked for me.  I am hoping to learn all I can in one afternoon.  At a minimum, I will learn where to go locally for information and assistance.  Thanks for the tip.
Brian

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 01:05:18 am »
From 1 Brian to another, Welcome.  I guess I'll have to change my moniker to the Crazy Old Coot.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 01:06:27 pm »
Brian, welcome to our forum, you have already been greeted by warm welcomes, that is good and wonderful.  Yep, we have another Brian, cool.  Brian is a good name.

That must have been exciting to see that the bees that you and your friend went out to see had lived and were rollin' on.  Yeah!!

This forum will be your learning tool, as will your experiences with your bees hands on.  Ask all your questions, lean on us.  You will always have great answers for your questions, you will see.

Wonderful that you have two boys that will help you, they will become under the spell of bee, as you will too, we are all under this spell, it is addictive, and once you have bees, in so many cases, one will always have bees, unless of course there are extenuating circumstances.  The more that you learn, the more that you will want to learn, and you will become a great beekeeper.

The bees will pollinate your gardens and flowers, your harvests of food will become more prolific and larger, the bees, among other pollinators bring about wonderful things in nature.  Welcome, have a wonderful day, enjoy this great life we live, enjoy your time spent here.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 07:39:18 am »
Brian, welcome to our forums. This is my advice for you, slow down and smell the roses, you will make mistakes, but so what? This is how we learn. You are not learning if you are not making mistakes. If you catch that beekeeping bug and it sounds like you have, you will go through trials and tribulations. You will have those ups and downs but you will have magnificent joy. You will soon be a patron to those bees, and they have found an eager keeper in you and your boys, they will serve you will. Have fun, make mistakes, learn from your mistakes and venture forth, we are here to help. You have entered a wonderful world, look forward to good days!

Sincerely, JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

anything