Welcome, Guest

Poll

Do you use an upper entrance hole drilled in the super?

yes
4 (19%)
no
17 (81%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Upper Entrance  (Read 2680 times)

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
Upper Entrance
« on: June 17, 2008, 02:37:12 pm »
Just curious.  My wife and I are building new supers and were considering drilling them beneath the handle.  Thanks for the input.

David

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Re: Upper Entrance
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 02:47:14 pm »
If you put a hole beneath a handle, you're going to have trouble when you put your hand there to move the box. If you want an upper entrance, put a stick in to prop up the outer cover or buy/make an inner cover with a top entrance built in.

If you're talking about honey supers, I think it's a very bad idea, because then it gets harder to get the bees out at harvest time.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 03:47:06 pm »
I would not recommend drilling holes in your boxes.  You may find yourself changing methods and repairing equipment.  Propping up the lid with shims allows the same thing, the bees can still get under the telescoping cover by doing this, and no damage done to the boxes.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 06:54:07 pm »
The more holes in a hive the more entrances.  That means guard bees must be assigned to each hole.  The more holes the more and easier access robber bees have to you hives.  If you want to vent the hive a top entrance works, close of the bottom entrance.  If you just want to vent the top a popsicle stick laid on the top edge of the super works.

I've never know of any beekeeper who drilled holes in his hives who didn't come to regret it big time later.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 11:32:29 pm »
i used them because the stuff was free.  if you try it and don't like it for some reason you can always staple some screen over the hole.  i did have all mine like that but i took the screen off to do some painting i may regret this later on but it kinda make sence.  bees have a shorter distance to get into and around the comb to deposit her honey.  but like other people have said it may make robber bees more likely to try for some easy honey.  up to you i guess there are pros and cons to it all but i'd say neigther way is totally right or wrong.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 11:48:49 pm »
Thanks for all the input.  I believe I will work with what is called a Imirie shim or prop the top just a bit. 

David

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 04:35:14 pm »
   If I were to drill a hole, it would be in the brood box only, above the handle/hand hold.  The main idea, as I see it, is to help minumize congestion in brood area, lessen the chance of backfill to minumize swarming and keep the supers' wax cleaner.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline K-R-Farms

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2008, 04:42:55 pm »
   If I were to drill a hole, it would be in the brood box only, above the handle/hand hold.  The main idea, as I see it, is to help minumize congestion in brood area, lessen the chance of backfill to minumize swarming and keep the supers' wax cleaner.
backfill?
Proverbs 3:3
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2008, 06:03:09 pm »
Honey stored in the brood area.  This can happen if there is too much congestion and the bees start filling brood comb with nectar and pollen.  This normally happens in the spring but anytime there are supplies entering quickly this can happen.  This is what I've read and I expect what I've experienced since I have gone back to bottom entrance for some hives and upper for others, get my own idea and find what works best for me.  Two bottom entrance swarmed and the other one was a swarm from this year.  The top super was not drawn out, I may have caused that by adding it late this year, on both hives.  They have since been drawn and filling up nicely.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 12:51:50 am »
Honey stored in the brood area.  This can happen if there is too much congestion and the bees start filling brood comb with nectar and pollen.  This normally happens in the spring but anytime there are supplies entering quickly this can happen.  This is what I've read and I expect what I've experienced since I have gone back to bottom entrance for some hives and upper for others, get my own idea and find what works best for me.  Two bottom entrance swarmed and the other one was a swarm from this year.  The top super was not drawn out, I may have caused that by adding it late this year, on both hives.  They have since been drawn and filling up nicely.

Backfilling is often the 1st indicator of swarming and a lot of backfilling will force a hive to swarm even when it isn't overcrowded.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

anything