Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Blackberries or Raspberries  (Read 4176 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
Blackberries or Raspberries
« on: January 20, 2009, 12:30:37 pm »
Any growing black, rasp, or other berries for pick you own?  I want to start small and build up to a pick your own.  Any advice on varieties, tastes, etc.  (North Ga. area for varieties)
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Blackberries or Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 01:00:28 pm »
 i can't tell you about N GA but we grow them all.  couple of pieces of info....pick varieties that mature at different times.  our raspberries bloom in april or may and mature in late june and july.  the blackberries bloom from july to august depending on variety and mature early august through september.  blueberries come in early, mid, and late varieties.  we grow all.  most take 2 to 3 years to be producing well.  pay attention to soil requirements for best production.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 01:36:18 pm »
Kathyp

do you sell like a "pick your own"?  if so how much do you sell for?  I know it want happen this year but just getting info.  Thanks for your post.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 07:04:56 pm »
we do it for ourselves.  my husband likes to try new things so i'm always catching him planting berries somewhere i don't want them  :-).  two years ago he put in a bunch of black raspberries.  they are really good but they spread everywhere.  about ten years ago, he put in early and late raspberries and they have spread over about an acre now.  pretty soon, i won't have any land left for pasture! the blueberries are the easiest.  once they are established, they take very little care.  grapes are good too, but you have to watch them or they get way out of hand.  my old chicken coop is buried under concords now.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 02:14:42 pm »
I planted some black respberries here in SE Colorado but they did not make it. I planted some red rasp. and so far they are doing good. They have a very sour taste and I am more fond of the black. I transplanting from a mother plant just for the bees. I get about 6 to 7 starts every year from the original plant. There are lots more but I want the main plant to look full.

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 02:44:26 pm »
Try some thorn less Blackberries.  They are easy to start, prolific, bountiful, easy to pick, and most important delicious :) :) :).

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 09:04:43 pm »
Got some great info from the local extension office, as well as, the great info here on the forum.  I had never thought about erect type instead of trellis, but that seems to be the going thing.  Looks like Kiowa(thorny), Arapaho, and Navaho are the best for my area.  Rasp don't do that well in the heat, but there is one, Dormanred, that I might try.  I'll put in around 20 plants this spring and 20 more in the fall.  I want to get around 2-3, 100 foot rows started.  Also, put in a 1/4 acre of clover this fall--then all my bees have almost died!!!  We have enough land to do lots of things but my father is so conservative that he NEVER tries anything new.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline HAB

• HEAVENLY BEEKEEPER
  • Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 10:08:21 pm »
My 77yr old Father has two one-hundred foot rows of thornless blackberries.  For the last three years they have produced tremendously.  And oh so sweet!!! :) :) :)

anything