Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Question.  (Read 2682 times)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Wax Question.
« on: January 06, 2008, 09:41:00 pm »
 I was looking in on my bees this weekend as it was almost 80 degrees. I had to clean some wax off between boxes from the frames where they were stuck to the frames above. My front yard hive had a "Brittle" sort of wax. These were bees I caught. My other 2 backyard hives wax was soft, more normal I suppose. These 2 were package bees. My backyard bees are Italians.
 Any comments?..Is one type of wax better than the other?
 your friend,
john

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Wax Question.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 09:53:31 pm »
wax is wax sometimes it is warm and pliable from warmth in the hive sometimes it is cold and brittle-the hive with the brittle wax is not as warm as the other hive -something to think about many people losing colonies because they cant maintain regulated warmth -but on a brighter note wasn't the brittle wax easier to scrape clean-the brittle wax will return to the pliable state in time-RDY-B

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:14 pm »
Oh yeh,..You're absolutely correct! The brittle WAS easier to scrape of than the soft!...And, again I believe you're correct about the temp. too! The front hive DOES get more shade than the back two I think.
Thanks RDY-b
your friend,
john

Oh, while I'm here...What is the "Peanut looking comb" jutting out from the rest of the comb?..I've seen pictures of this many times but I cant remember where at.

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 10:32:04 pm »
are you talking about on the bottom of the frames -I believe that to be ladder comb the bees build to climb up on the frames easier -most folks call them queen killers and scrape them off -if it is something else then i cant say in-less i see it  RDY-B

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 10:54:13 pm »
What is the "Peanut looking comb" jutting out from the rest of the comb?..I've seen pictures of this many times but I cant remember where at.

Like from the middle of the frame? That would be supersede or emergency queen cells. On the bottom of frame is swarm cell.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 11:53:17 pm »
threes a pretty good pic of ladder comb in her  http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=12588.0      RDY-B

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2008, 12:42:51 am »
John, I think too that you are talking about queen cells.  When you spoke of the peanut shape, that is a queen cell capped.  Here is a couple of pictures of some queen cells in my colonies this summer.  Is this the "peanut comb" that you were speaking of?  Have a wonderful and great day.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2008, 07:32:31 pm »
YES!...Thats the ones!..And they are pretty much in the middle of the frame. And they have holes in them just like the picture.
 If they're emergency queen cells or supercedure cells am I fixing to have a problem?
 I've never seen the queens in any of my hives since the day i put them in.(They had green dots on there back) I just know that theres eggs and brood(I mean there was last summer.) Should I be doing something soon, like splitting or something?
your friend,
john

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2008, 07:38:45 pm »
YES!...Thats the ones!..And they are pretty much in the middle of the frame. And they have holes in them just like the picture.
 If they're emergency queen cells or supercedure cells am I fixing to have a problem?
 I've never seen the queens in any of my hives since the day i put them in.(They had green dots on there back) I just know that theres eggs and brood(I mean there was last summer.) Should I be doing something soon, like splitting or something?
your friend,
john

Leave the bees alone. They know what they are doing.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2008, 07:20:34 am »
If the cells already have holes in them, then whatever was going to happen already did.  If you caught them before that, and the cells were on the bottom, then maybe a split would have headed off a swarm.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin