Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honor Stands for honey sales?  (Read 5890 times)

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Honor Stands for honey sales?
« on: November 19, 2012, 01:17:35 pm »
There was a recent article in one of the bee magazines about an selling honey via an honor stand.  They haven't actually done it yet so they have no actual experience.  Where I keep my bees there a decent amount of traffic with even some foot and bicycle activity.  They are about to widen the road and add a sidewalk and possibly street lights.  There's a neighbor who's directly across the street who overlooks where I'd put the honor stand and there's an easy parking spot with plenty of visibility.  I've made sure to give them honey every year since I started and we've got a great relationship.  Most people think the hives are his so they may think the stand is always under observation.  While working the bee's I'm invariably asked where they can buy the honey from my hives.  I send them to my retailers but I' perfer to sell them directly as there's more profit and a direct relationship with the consumer.

I'm seriously considering setting up an honor stand where I normally park.  Can anyone with some experience chime in to give feedback pro or con?
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
Re: Honor Stands for honey sales?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 03:23:15 pm »
Emptied the money box in mine honor stand about an hour ago and there was  :police: 40 skr to little :police:  :embarassed: Waaaaaahhhhhhaaaaaaaa  :rant:

:-D Not that I`m worried though they probable didn't the right change  ;) next time I empty it there will most likely be 40 skr to much  :-D
Talked to some ladies and they asked if the boxed worked and I told them that some times it was minus but in the long run it balances out. One of the lady's embarrassed confessed that she had not had the right change and put to little, some times too much in the box, I told her she was not the only one and that it seems to work well in the long run, I said that she was welcome to keep shopping and I thanked her for buying my girls hard worked for honey  :-D

I've had my box for 3 years and it works  :angel:

I have it on the way to my mail box so I pass it every day and empty it often so there is never a lot of money in the box that could attract thieves.

Even if I lost a jar now and then to dishonesty I would weigh it against having to sell from my door, talking to customers in the middle of diner/the news/favorite show, or even if I wasn't home.

My box works and the customers like the idea that in this day and age that you can still trust most people  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:00:57 pm »
JMO...as in real estate....Location, Location, Location!!  We're out in growing country here now, so I would certainly give it a try here.  Where we lived a couple years ago????  Not a chance in he!! it would work.   I did honor stands years ago selling gourds with good results, but it was a rural community.  I say don't invest much in your stand, and give it a try first with a simple table or such to get a feel for the results.  I'd also set a price that is consistent with our currency for ease of payment (and no need for change).  Good luck with it!  Hope it works for you! 

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 05:34:43 pm »
Thanks to both of you.  I believe my location is good and should get even better with the upcoming road improvements.  I'm figuring $100-$200 for a small stand.  Do either of you (or anyone else) have a photo of your stand?  The stand I'm envisioning may end up with the product in full afternoon sun unless I have doors like a cabinet the customer must open to get to the product, or I have the stand entrance facing perpendicular to the road.  Are sales higher if they can see the product from the road?  Any input for what's worked for you would be greatly appreciated.

Offline William F Abell Jr

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:15:08 pm »
This may be more elaborate than you want but it looks good.
 http://stonehavenlife.com/roadside-stand-woodworking-plans/
sorry you will have ti cut and paste I couldn't make the hyperlink work.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:32:04 pm by buzzbee »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »
There was a thread in equipment forum brfore. Nice stand:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,35098.0.html

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:45 pm »
Just my additional two cents...Make sure you display the product AND price!  Nothing annoys me more than seeing trucks full of fresh watermelon, corn, or whatever on the road side, and you have to STOP in order to find out how much.  (It always makes me wonder if the price changes, depending on who/what you are...know what I mean?)  If your sign said "Local Honey $5' (or whatever) I think you would get more takers.  I'd stop if it said Watermelon, $3....but won't stop to inquire. 

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 07:34:09 pm »
Location, Location, Location!!  We're out in growing country here now, so I would certainly give it a try here.  Where we lived a couple years ago????  Not a chance in he!! it would work
Location , my box is on a street with limited traffic, + quiet safe area - no spontaneous traffic = advertising  :-D

I have put up laminated advertisements with a map how to find my honey box at strategic locations in the local area + a camping site in the summer.

I have noticed that sales go up in the summer and days with fine walking weather, and in the winter when its cold season.

As i live in a climate with + 30oc (86º F) in summer and - 30oc (-22f) in winter temperature/weather is a factor. The summer is ok but under the autumn and winter the temperature changes and there is a bit of condensation and frost.
Under the colder seasons a reduce the amount on display.
I visited a colleague that had  change in a tin for customers,  :roll: I asked if it worked, he said yes but some times local children plundered it, I would not recommend it  :police:  better with even prises

My box is a bit plain but I have tarted it up with picture of whine the pooh and a big honey for sale sign. My dream is to make a box that looks like the local light house that is 400meters away here is a link to a picture  :)
 http://translate.google.se/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sjofartsverket.se%2Fsv%2FSjofartssektorn%2FBatliv1%2FTurism--fritid%2FTurism--fritid2%2FBonans-lotsplats-och-fyr%2F&act=url

I´m thinking about storing the honey under the roof of the small house and you lift the roof to choose a jar  :-D

mvh edward  :-P

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 07:36:47 pm »
I put the price on all the different jar sizes, good also that there is a variation to choose from if they don't have change.

mvh edward  :-P

Offline vmmartin

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 10:57:22 pm »
I have been using one that I placed towards the end of my driveway.  Driveway is about 100 yards long.  I have a sign in the ditch.  Rural community.  I have not had any stolen, nor any money stolen.  Anytime I sell some to anyone who lives in the area, I tell them about my honor stand.  Most people like the idea of it and the nostalgia that brings them back to times where these stands were more "normal". Plus, it frees up some more of my time.  I have not figured out the solution to cold temps though.  I say go for it D.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:31 pm »
We live way down a one lane road.  Have run the honor system for the farm for years and years.   Pick your own blueberries starting late June to just honey this time of the year.   People just know how it works mostly.  Jars are on the front porch.   Lunch box for sticking the money in.  Advertising is a lot of word of mouth from all directions for years.  Come to the house, grab a jar, pay and leave.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:46 pm »
I don't because I live way off the beaten path. but there is a beek south of me in another county that lives on a state route that does and has had it for years. he has a sign that says it will only be there as long as people are fair. he even says if you don't have the money now leave your address and take a card and mail it within a week or bring it by within a week. he's still there. people that want natural local honey know what it's worth and know that there is a limited supply. so most won't mess it up when they have a good thing going.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »
I appreciate all of the replies, I'm going to go ahead and do it.  I'll take photos with measurements as it progresses.  I'll buy the supplies now for my 2012 records and make it over the winter with my son (his efforts can help him earn his Boy Scout woodworking badge).

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 03:40:05 am »
D Coates: Now we just need to get the Beekeeping badge for Boy Scouts reactivated, and he could get two in one!   X:X  Wish you the best with your venture.

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 11:44:19 am »
D Coates: Now we just need to get the Beekeeping badge for Boy Scouts reactivated, and he could get two in one!   X:X  Wish you the best with your venture.

Thanks!  As for the badge, if that happens there better be a doctor with a suture kit nearby because the monkey flying out of my butt is probably going to tear something up.  Not a Boy Scout myself but active in leadership I don't see that happening.  This is especially true since they put beekeeping under the "insect studies" badge to try to keep beekeepers happy without reintroducing the badge. 

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:04 pm »
You should talk to Bob Harrison during your next monthly bee club meeting.  He has an honor booth setup at his house.  Might want to ask him what he uses for locking the cash box.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!