Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dandelion Wine Time!!!  (Read 9482 times)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Dandelion Wine Time!!!
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2007, 05:44:10 pm »
Just punch down the bag whenever you go past it- maybe rotate it once in awhile- Don't worry -It will be great!

I'm still pretty new to brewing, but shouldnt you be careful about air contact during fermantation?  My grandfather told me that there's a bacteria in the air that can screw up a batch of wine, turing it to vinegar.  So, shouldnt you just leave it be instead of touching it every once in a while?  Would it have been better to weight down the cheesecloth with a weight?

Cindi,
Yeah, those bugs are nasty!  Everytime we got bit or stung we would have a HUGE welt.  I'm thinking now that it had to be a sting for it to make such a mark.  Hurt like a sunofagun.  Never saw them in the horse traugh, but always in the kiddy pool, especially after we just filled it.  They must have really liked the super fresh water.

Sean
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2007, 10:36:50 am »
Sean, OK now I have a new respect for the boatbug.  I have not met it personally and now I really do not want to.  I was always only teasing the kids when I told them to beware the maneater.  Now I really do need to keep on top of this nasty critter.  Yes, I bet they like your poor little kids' pool, nasties.  Best of a beautiful day, great life and great health wishes for all.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 04:49:47 pm »
I'm beginning to get a really nice yeasty smell down in the basement.  Six more days in the bucket, then transfer to the carboy.   :-D

Mark

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 08:58:46 pm »
Once you have this in the carboy- we'll make some mead!! I make at least 30 gallons of mead a year- thats why I originally got into bee keeping.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 07:49:50 am »
I'm up for that.  :-D

Mark

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 01:10:09 am »
I have excess honey, still liquid, I really should get into making some mead.  I am on the search for a recipe that I read about somewhere called something like "Joe's Ancient Orange" mead recipe.  Probably gonna google it.  Have a wonderful day, great life, great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 09:52:01 pm »
My mom and I might make some mead, but that wont start till next year when I have some more honey.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2007, 07:38:59 pm »
Okay, it's in the carboy and airlock is in place, I am now officially forgetting it after I ask the next couple questions.

Where do I keep it climate/light wise - dark warm, dark cool, light warm, light cool?
Also, when I re-rack it in November how long will it stay in the second carboy until I bottle it?

Right, so mead is next yes? :-D

Mark

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 11:09:01 am »
Mead--- The nectar of the Gods! Very simple- 15 lbs. of honey,4 gallons water, Hydrate a package of yeast and add with a little yeast nutrient,ferment a a month or so then rack and forget about it for six to eight months , rack once more, bottle and enjoy!!! A lot of variations of this with different juices or fruits. If interested let me know. This is a hobby that can become very addicting.

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 11:14:23 am »
Mark, keep your dandelion wine in a dark cool enviroment. Your basement is perfect. I would rack it once more in November then bottle. Age it as long as you can stand it. Of course for quality assurance purposes you will have to have a glass or two every once in awhile.

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05:13 pm »
Mead--- The nectar of the Gods! Very simple- 15 lbs. of honey,4 gallons water, Hydrate a package of yeast and add with a little yeast nutrient,ferment a a month or so then rack and forget about it for six to eight months , rack once more, bottle and enjoy!!! A lot of variations of this with different juices or fruits. If interested let me know. This is a hobby that can become very addicting.

Oh I'm interested!  This brewing thing has become quite addicting already.  I have big plans for my strawberry crop in a month or so.  Anyone ever made strawberry wine?  I found a recipe yesterday on line, but am having a hard time finding it again.  It'll turn up.

So can you become an alcoholic if you're making it yourself?  Just a thought. . .   I'm thinking not so much.  I can see drinking more often, but less quantity as to enjoy the fruit (pun not really intended) of my labor.  Not that it's  an issue, just curious as to other folks' experiences.

Mark

Offline Romahawk

• House Bee
    • http://www.romahawk.com
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 12:00:46 am »
Try this site for recipies.....

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/
Never let your education interfere with your learning" --Samuel Clemens

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:32 am »
Yeah!!!  I racked my dandelion wine from the primary fermenter into the carboy yesterday.  I was very surprised at it, it looked ugly.  It initally was very dark kind of purpely looking, I couldn't find any white grape juice concentrate, so I used my blackberry/cherry juice that I had bottled last summer from fruit that I got the juice from with my steamer pot.  The liquid had turned into kind of a light pinkish colour, I guess attractive in its own way.  I won't have the nice looking dandelion wine that the white grape juice would afford, but I think it is still going to taste mighty fine.  I will have a hard time waiting all those months for it though.

My next project is going to be rhubarb wine, I had huge amounts of it maturing right now and I have heard on this thread that it is really yummy!!!  I think I have become a wine maker addict.

I have been brewing my own wine using the store bought wine kits, and I have honed them down pretty nicely.  That last batch was a barolo, and it is really really nice.  The next ones on the brew are merlo and cabernet.  I am going to mix the two together to get the cab-merlot.  Yeah!!!  Have a wonderful day, great health, Cindi