Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Uncapping Knife  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Recurve

• New Bee
Uncapping Knife
« on: October 25, 2015, 01:14:14 pm »
Hi,

I have 4 hives and have been happy using a large bread knife to deal with my cappings for a couple of years but this extraction we just did (110kg)I have decided we need a good knife to uncap.

Can anyone recommend a good knife I was looking at these 2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beekeeping-Electric-Honey-Uncapping-Knife-240-volt-Made-in-USA-Speed-King-/111757524047?hash=item1a05447c4f:g:8AcAAOxy9eVRVmyg

https://www.penders.net.au/knives/uncapping-knife-electric-detail.html

Is the Speed King worth the extra $ ??

Thanks

Offline Anybrew2

• House Bee
Re: Uncapping Knife
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:29:49 pm »
I bought a copy of that first electric knife off Flea Bay for around $50 only 3 weeks ago and it works fine.It came from a Aussie supplier too.

Cheers
Steve
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 04:58:59 pm by Anybrew2 »

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 01:00:46 am »
I have (had) a 12volt electric - got cold half way down a frame - borrowed a friends 240volt electric - not much better

Bought an old steam knife off eBay - BEAUTIFUL ! like a hot knife through butter - also longer and overhangs both sides nicely. Only drawback is the weight of the steam lines dragging.

Thinking of modifying to add another handle so will use two hands with the frame laying in a sloping holder - have been trying with some improvisation and shows a lot of promise for quicker and easier uncapping.
David L

Offline amun-ra

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »
hey wombat look to the sheep shearing sheds for ideas a spring or weighted hanger for your knife so you uncap then let the knife go and it hangs in a convenient spot ready to go again that way weight of the knife don't matter
Every day the sun shines and gravity sucks= free energy

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:30:36 pm »
Recurve,
Have you used a non electric decapping knife?
I and my wife use one and I like it a lot better. The electric ones end up getting to hot when they sit and cook the honey on them, changing the flavor of the honey. I used one the first time I extracted, it belonged to the guy that had an extractor, and never used one since.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Recurve

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 02:23:53 pm »
Thanks for the replies, I am still not sure which way to go steam/electric or stay with non electric.

Recurve,
Have you used a non electric decapping knife?
I and my wife use one and I like it a lot better. The electric ones end up getting to hot when they sit and cook the honey on them, changing the flavor of the honey. I used one the first time I extracted, it belonged to the guy that had an extractor, and never used one since.
Jim

I use a large bread knife at the moment and it has done me well so far with avg extractions of 20-30Kg at a time when we had 2 hives. Now we have 4 and there must have been a good flow on we got over 110Kg and we where only half way thru spring. I was thinking it may be worthwhile investing in a good knife. I suffer with arthritis in wrists and ankles so if a hot knife/steam would help without effecting the honey I would jump at it.

It is either that or I may need to decrease the amount of hives.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 11:38:48 am »
The best knife for uncapping that I have found ever was by accident. The mother-n-law was using a electric knife at Thanksgiving and it died. She was throwing it away and she asked if I wanted the blades and they were still sharp. I put a plastic handle on each blade and with the thin curef of the blades it slices clean thru the cappings without reading and sticking. I have never gone back to the reg capping knife or heated knife scence. Have been using the same knives for six years. And I can uncap frames faster and easier than my friend can when we uncap hundreds of frames together.

John

Offline cover it up

• Brood
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2015, 10:18:04 am »
I like the pant roller works good for me an less mess puts the little holes in it nice

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2015, 12:17:58 pm »
We use the roller as a touch up after we use the knife.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ed Gallop

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 11:57:43 pm »
I used to have an electric knife but now use two non-electric knives with a pot of near boiling water on a burner. I switch knives when one cools. It as just as fast but I too am in the market for another electric one.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 12:48:58 pm »
Ed,
That sounds like a good idea. I will try it the next time we remove honey. It probably works better than the electric knife because it does not over heat.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Recurve

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 06:36:42 am »
Thanks for the help all.

I have decided to do what ED does so I purchased another cold knife and will rotate between them

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2015, 06:34:21 am »
Hi,

I have 4 hives and have been happy using a large bread knife to deal with my cappings for a couple of years but this extraction we just did (110kg)I have decided we need a good knife to uncap.

Can anyone recommend a good knife I was looking at these 2

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Beekeeping-Electric-Honey-Uncapping-Knife-240-volt-Made-in-USA-Speed-King-/111757524047?hash=item1a05447c4f:g:8AcAAOxy9eVRVmyg

Yes, it is. We sell them for $ 180. Cheapest you can get for the US made one.

https://www.penders.net.au/knives/uncapping-knife-electric-detail.html

Is the Speed King worth the extra $ ??

Thanks

Offline Ed Gallop

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
Not sure why you would pay over $100 when you can get one for less than $30 (free shipping if prime) at Amazon.  Regular is $99.  http://www.amazon.com
/Electric-Honey-Extractor-Uncrapping-Beekeeping/dp/B00VF8G9OC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2015, 04:02:34 am »
I had never used a cappings scratcher and wanted to try, so I took a good quality table fork from a steak knife set and tried scratching the cappings. Wow, it worked really well! I could scratch the cappings off a comb about as fast or faster than using the steam knife. I might make a few different size scratchers  :smile:

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2015, 12:33:18 pm »
Over the years I have used many types of knives. Most work well with practice. My electric knife worked the fastest and cleanest. I turn the knife off if I need to wait to use it again (get to far ahead of the extractor) then back on. I have not had a problem with the knife burning the honey (mine has a thermostat on it) only me when I get careless, but not cuts :wink:)  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Richard M

• House Bee
    • Onsite Assessments Tas
« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 06:42:41 pm »
Ed,
That sounds like a good idea. I will try it the next time we remove honey. It probably works better than the electric knife because it does not over heat.
Jim

I thought that was what everybody did?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2016, 12:39:22 pm »
Ed,
Jim

I thought that was what everybody did?

Nope, we have been using cold knives for years now. They do work pretty well cold.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »
If I was buying one right now, I'd get an electric plane.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Culley

• House Bee
    • my beekeeping page on twitter
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2016, 10:40:46 pm »
I did some more extracting recently. With three of us working we found the bottleneck was the 2 frame hand extractor.

We used both the kitchen fork and the steam knife because the new people wanted to try the steam knife - I was again very impressed with how well the fork worked.

anything