Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just chillin in NY  (Read 7782 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« on: March 09, 2005, 09:30:00 pm »
Newcomer just trying to figure out how to keep my bee's like "ALIVE".  Love beekeeping but have a very pecular habit of killing off the bees in the winter.  I'm in upstate NY just below Ithaca and man is it cold out.  Today i think we've made a record low for March of like 15F out.  Hopefully it starts to warm up in the next couple of weeks.  Just ordered some Nuc's because the swarms that i catch don't seem to be so hot and tend to crap out, well maybe that is just me idk. Looking foward to getting some great info---> which i've been doing lately.  Hopefully I can break my 4 yr tradition this year.  hehehehehe

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 09:36:10 am »
Wellcome aboard!!! bye :D
Ryan Horn

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 11:42:24 am »
Hi JXBeeman:

We all know what you mean - it's easy to get caught up in a bad slump, where no matter how well you prepare, your bees just don't survive the Winters.

I hope the forums help better that streak.

The decades of combined experience is well worth tapping and just think, there are many members with Winters exponentially more brutal than ours - so you should have plenty of help in next seasons preparation.

Please post as often as you feel like - sharing images, sound files, etc., are a great way to interact and this forum software allows for some creative communication :)

Also, on March 20th we have Howland Blackiston (author of Beekeeping for dummies) live in our chatroom - try to make that gathering and post about any issues that come to mind.

I think we all need to do EARLY SPRING REASSESSMENT - as we enter the following months of pollen and nectar flow, we have to make the conditions THE BEST for the workers to prepare for NEXT Winter.

We can all put our thinking caps on, but strong queens, early morning flights, sunny locations, good venting, sugar syrup feeding and schedule inspections, proper medication treatment and agreeable weather all make for a more successful season in our beeyards.

Welcome to the forums - great to have you here with us :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 12:02:13 pm »
Glad to see the Northeast represented so well!    Ithaca is a great town.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2005, 03:08:40 pm »
who else in this forum is close to the Binghamton NY area.  Interested in meeting

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2005, 03:50:33 pm »
jxbeeman,

Another NorthEast guy here,  I'm down around Kingston.  

Please don't take this personally, but loosing your hives 4 years straight is surely an indication that something is wrong with your hive management. Assuming it is not AFB (you should be able to identify that), the next thing I would consider would be mites (tracheal and varroa).  What type of mite treatment have you been using?

It can become very disappointing (and costly) if you keep loosing your bees.   Your not the first to have issues like this and you surely won't be the last.  The bottom line is that you CAN keep health bees even in cold climates and just need to drill down and determine the root cause of all your failures.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline peggjam

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2005, 04:14:12 pm »
From Steuben County, about 100 west of Binghamton.  We're getting back into bees after an eleven year abscence.  I hope everything works out the second time around.

peggjam

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2005, 06:28:17 pm »
Robo,

No offense taken, first year the guy that was helping me out well lets just say didn't inform me well on winterization.  the second year i caught a really late small swarm-->august.  i tinkered with them but figured i'd loose em which happend.  last yr was a temp problem and this year was a stores prob with condensation.  those are my guesses.  they were all small feral hives which i had caught localy.  at the time i also wasn't checking for mites so they could have played into the equation as well.  

question->  do bees eat more honey when they are cold or less.  i've heard that it is better that they are cooler in the winter that way they eat less food.  i've also heard that if it is cooler they eat more honey to keep warm.  is it either or neither.  thanks

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 04:00:44 pm »
The bees eat more when it is warmer - less of them die off.  So it's more likely they will starve in a mild winter.  

But again,  Ask 4 beekeepers a question and you will get atleast 7 answers.

Last year (03-04) was the coldest winter in years, deepest temps recored in 100 years and my bees survived.

This winter is exceptial bad, becuase it started out warm until January and then the cold came - so the bees ate like kings in October, Nov and December and now have to eat like pesants or worse starve.   And when there is no food in the cells,  they don't move around to much to find their stores of honey/syrup.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 06:18:08 pm »
Hey Robo,

I used to live in Kingston. . .small world.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2005, 08:23:01 pm »
Quote from: amymcg
Hey Robo,

I used to live in Kingston. . .small world.

Yes it is.  I actually grew up in Rosendale,  but now live in Olivebridge, up by the Ashokan Reservoir.  

Your not an IBM kid by any chance?
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2005, 09:46:29 pm »
I'm an IBM kid.

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2005, 10:28:28 pm »
It's going to be around 85F here tomorrow :P
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2005, 10:30:28 pm »
Quote from: jxbeeman
I'm an IBM kid.

Ahhhh,  Owego.    I wasn't paying attention I guess,  I was thinking Oswego.

So was that the Glendale lab that was in Owego?  

My sister-in-law use to live in Johnson City.

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2005, 10:44:46 am »
well i'm not sure which lab it is.  there is one in endicott which has been there for yrs and yrs.  then there is/used to be one in owego.  they sold it to loral who in turn sold it to lockheed martin a yr later.  that was a couple yrs ago maybe 7.  but the one in endicott is still up and running.

Offline HilltopDaisy

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2005, 09:17:06 pm »
Hey guys, I'm just north of Binghamton, in Upper Lisle.  I'm getting bees for the first time in May, from Dadant in Waverly.  I'd love to corespond with you, jxbeeman.

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2005, 04:27:40 pm »
HilltopDaisy
hey no prob.  would love to.  send me an e-mail or something and we can get together.  maybe this spring we can go chasing swarms.  later

Offline BigRog

• House Bee
Just chillin in NY
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2005, 05:44:20 pm »
PROGRAMS
CORNELL COOPERATIVE EXTENSION with Anne Frey, president of the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association present "Beekeeping, Spring Management," 7-8 p.m. April 5 at Cornell Cooperative Extension of Albany County, 24 Martin Road, Voorheesville. The cost of the program is $7. To register call or email Billie-Jo at 765-3512 or bjr24@cornell.edu.
"Lurch my good man,…what did you mean when you said just now that 'You've got better things to do than run my petty little errands'…….?"

anything