Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I'm going in..  (Read 1268 times)

Offline BRIANCJ

• New Bee
I'm going in..
« on: April 27, 2009, 10:08:00 pm »
Getting a 3lb package tomorrow.How many deeps should I set up for a 10 frame hive? I was planning on 1 deep with a hive top feeder {Mann Lake hive top that fit's in a shallow} is this going to be enough until they start to draw out several frames?

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: I'm going in..
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:12:40 pm »
That sounds good on the 1 deep and 10 frames

I have the Mann Lake feeders and they are good, but be aware that you may end up with lots and lots of drowned bees unless you modify the feeder some. I have duct taped around the edges of the screen because in their frenzy the bees have pushed against the screen and some bees end up being pushed under the screen into the sugar syrup. If you have any questions, I can try and find some photos. Also wash the feeder out really good if it has a plastic sort of smell.

Annette

Offline BRIANCJ

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 10:44:20 pm »
Thank's Annette,I'll reinspect the feeder.of course the weather has been perfect for this,but the bee's were delayed twice.Now we're looking at T'storms and possibly trying to get this done right before dark..nice..

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 11:49:41 pm »
One.  Don't add another until that one is 80% full.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin