Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's Starting  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
It's Starting
« on: August 12, 2015, 02:45:37 am »
Apart from the fact I have been smelling the honey walking past the hives for the last month I can now see the Tallowwood in flower - can see 5 in the National Park behind and 3 in the neighbors over the road and there are 2 up the street. The bees are making a bee-line straight toward a group of 3 in the Park - It's starting - better start working on more boxes and frames.
David L

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
Re: It's Starting
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 07:37:15 am »
I just got an email from my supplier that my first order of gear is ready to pick up  :grin: going to be a weekend of assembling and painting for me. Now if only I can find someone to sell me bees before it's too late....

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:54:32 pm »
Why buy the bees. Make up a nuc, put 5 empty frames in it, add some slum gum, or old wax from a local beek, add 4 drops of lemon grass oil on top of the frames and place it 6' or more above the ground and catch your own.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 04:34:37 pm »
Why buy the bees. Make up a nuc, put 5 empty frames in it, add some slum gum, or old wax from a local beek, add 4 drops of lemon grass oil on top of the frames and place it 6' or more above the ground and catch your own.
Jim

I had considered whether there may be some feral swarms to catch, but given I don't know any local beeks, lemon grass oil is expensive and hard to get, and I have no 6' pole to mount on (my property is a barren wasteland of weedy grass), I guess I'm trying to take the easy way out. However, the pole I can fix, and I can build a nuc, so I'll look into it a bit more.

Offline kalium

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:17 pm »
Apart from the fact I have been smelling the honey walking past the hives for the last month I can now see the Tallowwood in flower - can see 5 in the National Park behind and 3 in the neighbors over the road and there are 2 up the street. The bees are making a bee-line straight toward a group of 3 in the Park - It's starting - better start working on more boxes and frames.

I must be lucky. There are quite a few large tallow wood trees in my area (one being about 50m from the hives...) and they have been flowering for the past six weeks.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:15:34 pm »
Jim

I had considered whether there may be some feral swarms to catch, but given I don't know any local beeks, lemon grass oil is expensive and hard to get, and I have no 6' pole to mount on (my property is a barren wasteland of weedy grass), I guess I'm trying to take the easy way out. However, the pole I can fix, and I can build a nuc, so I'll look into it a bit more.
r

Jim
I have traps in trees, I screw a hook into a branch and use a rope over the hook to pull them up, and I have traps on top of an old pay phone. It seems to be the favorite place for swarms.
You do not want to place them where you have to climb a ladder to get it down.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:17:57 pm »
I don't know what happened but I really messed that post up. :cry:
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 11:42:09 pm »
Lol Jim :)

As to the original question, our line Wattle tree is towing madly again. how many times in one season can those things flower????

I have yet to learn that knack of identifying all the various gums in the surrounding properties, or see when they are flowering. Wish I had a mentor to help in that respect.  I have a "trees of Australia" books, but they all look the same to me :)

Offline Dave86

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 04:47:06 am »
Lol Jim :)

As to the original question, our line Wattle tree is towing madly again. how many times in one season can those things flower????

I have yet to learn that knack of identifying all the various gums in the surrounding properties, or see when they are flowering. Wish I had a mentor to help in that respect.  I have a "trees of Australia" books, but they all look the same to me :)

Where abouts in QLD are you Russ??? Let me know via pm if you want.

Offline Wombat2

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:38:53 am »
Have read that Wattle is poor for nectar and poor for pollen bit of a bummer as I like the look of them and species flower for about 8 months
David L

Offline SB-Russ

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 04:24:34 pm »
Have read that Wattle is poor for nectar and poor for pollen bit of a bummer as I like the look of them and species flower for about 8 months

No good for Nectar, but according the the Bee Friendly planting guide (https://rirdc.infoservices.com.au/downloads/12-014) there are a couple of varieties that are good for pollen. Theres some feral bees around here that certainly seem to like ours. Plus its one of the few garden trees we can get to grow here that'll survive on the little water we can give it.

Offline Chiefman

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 09:24:15 am »
Have read that Wattle is poor for nectar and poor for pollen

I have seen the bees carting LOADS of pollen off the wattle tree near our hive this year. Nearly every fourth bee was bringing some back
-= The Urban Beekeeper =-

Offline Geoff

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2015, 12:20:48 am »
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 01:27:55 am by Geoff »
Local Area Network in Australia - the LAN down under.

anything