Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how do you have a two queen hive  (Read 4522 times)

Offline bumbean

• New Bee
how do you have a two queen hive
« on: March 11, 2007, 05:16:35 pm »
and if you could plese tell me how to start beekeeping

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: how do you have a two queen hive
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 06:51:38 pm »
You do not start beekeeping with a two queen hive.
Read
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
to start with.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline bumbean

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 07:17:42 pm »
i knew that i was just wondering since i read they breed faster and produce more honey faster

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 07:53:09 pm »
You are not ready for a 2 queen hive. The benefits do not outweigh the cost. Stick with some basics. Also please update your information in your profile to include where you are. It is helpful information as different areas have to raise bees differently.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 08:08:41 pm »
I would NOT start with a two queen hive.  But here's what I think of how to do it:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beestwoqueenhive.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2007, 09:26:26 am »
I have never tried this but I heard a easy way to make a 2 queen hive (if it works) all you have to do was clip a back  leg off your queen and they will supercede her, she will still be a fine layer, has anyone ever tried this method? its just something I heard from a older beekeeper.......
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2007, 10:23:27 am »
Never heard that one.  I always seen supercedure to include killing off of the original queen.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2007, 09:43:29 pm »
Quote from: Robolink=topic=8166.msg51218#msg51218 date=1173705807
Never heard that one.  I always seen supercedure to include killing off of the original queen.

Robo, I know you heard of a old queen getting superseded and finding her and a new queen in one hive, he said it is the same thing but you are fooling the bee's making them think she is not right or injured which a missing leg doesn't slow her down and then them raising a new queen, it sound good but I never tried this. might try it myself and see what happens ;)
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2007, 09:57:31 am »
Robo, I know you heard of a old queen getting superseded and finding her and a new queen in one hive, he said it is the same thing but you are fooling the bee's making them think she is not right or injured which a missing leg doesn't slow her down and then them raising a new queen, it sound good but I never tried this. might try it myself and see what happens ;)

Ya,  I have heard of two queens (mother and daughter) coexisting, but have never witnessed it. I just think it is more of the exception than the rule. Not sure it is the bees that kill the old queen, but more like the new queen. 

Not trying to be negative here, but if it were that easy, I would think a lot of beekeepers would be doing it.  Why stop at just 2 queens then? 

Be interested to hear how you make out trying it, keep us posted.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 04:49:23 pm »
robo, my first thought was that this was one of those things-one might rather take it to the grave than to share with others, or should i say, is being used by such people.

robo, mother and doughter co-exist for a shorter period of time, it's not like you could use this to have 2 queen hive, it's just a very easy way to requeen the hive, that's the point of doing it, requeening

this method sure sounds good, but how would one make them raise the supersedure queen from larvae from another hive..bah, asking to much again :)..hmm clip the leg, confine her after few days and insert a fresh lain comb from the other hive...maybe..

anything