Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Can this work as a SHB guard?  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
Can this work as a SHB guard?
« on: March 01, 2014, 06:51:52 pm »
Watched a video of  a Fox news story from Mississipi about in invention and I have some doubts.  Since I'm new, the site won't allow me to post the link, so I'll send it to the beemaster and see if he'll append the link to my msg.

http://fxn.ws/1hZ4539

Can anyone tell me how strips of aluminum they are selling will keep SHBs out of a hive?  They say the beetles can't walk across the strips, but can't they fly in?

Gary
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:31:07 pm by buzzbee »
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Can this work as a SHB guard?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 09:55:16 pm »
I could not get the site to load but I have serious doubts about it stopping them.
If you want to get SHB under control, use a screen bottom board with a oil pan. Be sure the bees cannot get in the oil pan.
When I started, SHB were out of control. I built SBB for all of my hives. Every month, for 3 years, I cleaned them out and the trays would be solid black with dead SHB. Last year i left the trays dry because the SHB numbers were so low, I just killed the few SHB that I would find in the trays. The trays fill up with pollen so I have to clean them on a weekly basis because the larvae can develop in the trays. It is a lot earlier to clean them dry than when they are full of old oil.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 01:25:50 am »
Thanks, sawdstmakr.  Sorry you coildn't get the link to load..  I'll try to send it to you tomorrow.  It doesn't make sense to me.  My niece who sent this to me is in Vermont and has no problem with SHB, but you and I know how big a problem they are. If this thing works (which I doubt) it would be great. 

I just doubt magic bullets and want others to see what these guys claim.  Tomorrow.

Gary
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline hjon71

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 02:39:07 am »
The link works for me.

I can see how it "could" work, but you are correct. There is nothing to stop SHB from flying up into the hive. I didn't see a claim to end SHB,  just to reduce them. I can see that, if you watch their video.
Quite difficult matters can be explained even to a slow-witted man, if only he has not already adopted a wrong opinion about them; but the simplest things cannot be made clear even to a very intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he already knows, and knows indubitably, the truth of the matter under consideration. -Leo Tolstoy

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:50:42 pm »
The hive they showed needed something, it was full of beetles.  I don't thing the baffle will help.  He had a SBB but just a solid BB under it.

Joe