Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Abbotsford, B. C. Canada !  (Read 2384 times)

Offline BC

• New Bee
Hello from Abbotsford, B. C. Canada !
« on: October 11, 2009, 11:44:11 am »
I have one hive that I started from a Nuc on July 4. 09. My first. Great hobby. Love it! I'm doing what I can to keep them happy over the winter. I've read some books and surf the net a lot. I still have much more to learn. Hope to talk to you all soon!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Hello from Abbotsford, B. C. Canada !
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:53:36 am »
Welcome BC!

Use the search function. there is a world of information in older posts.

Again, Welcome!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Yappy

• House Bee
  • "Your darnest Questions, get the best Advice"
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 03:14:33 am »
Go Canada! Welcome back BC. I am looking forward to meeting beeks locally (within 1.5 hour drive) :-D
Noted that you signed up awhile ago. How strong is your hive?
Did you join any bee clubs, Langley is next door to you. A great group, I visited last week.
... Rob

Offline BC

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:48:49 pm »
Thanks asprince!
Hello Fireguy,
My top super has about 5 frames of honey. They are still bringing in pollen. I'm feeding them sugar syrup (2:1). I'm planning on feeding them until the end of the month and then I'm going to feed them Bakers dry sugar. I was using ziplock bags but I can't keep up with them. I've gone to a frame feeder. I'm not too happy with this because I'm losing a lot of bees.
I also use grease patties with salt ( the pink stuff for livestock ) and wintergreen oil. I haven't seen any mites. I didn't treat with mite-away. I've been told that I better or I could lose them. Is it too late to put a pad in? I wasn't being lazy. I just sometimes worry about that stuff in the hive.
I wrapped my hive in tarpaper this weekend. I have a cork size hole in the top super just below the handle. I also glued popsicle pieces on all 4 corners of the innercover.
This is my first hive. Any rookie mistakes so far? Let me know.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 01:48:29 pm »
BC, welcome to our forum, so great that you have found us.  I am across the river in Maple Ridge (Websters Corners actually).  This will be a place where you can tell your stories, tales and experiences, make some new friends.  You have some questions.  I would like you to make a new post, in the general beekeeping part, you need some answers to questions you ask and that would get more input than this greetings forum, I would think.  I have some comments to make and they are important.  Never mind, I will start a post for you.  Love to have you here.  Have that most wonderful and awesome day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 08:29:55 pm »
Hello and Welcome BC 
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask

Johnny 

Offline BC

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 09:16:33 pm »
Thank you Johnny! cheers!

Offline Sparky

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 08:49:06 pm »
Welcome BC. Looks like you are off to a good start. You are in one of the tough areas to keep bees and I hope things do well for you. Spring will be the grade of how good of a student you have been. Enjoy your fascinating hobby.

anything