Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting over again.  (Read 1674 times)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
Starting over again.
« on: March 25, 2014, 08:01:55 pm »
Good afternoon,
  It's been a while since I have posted here, but it is good to see most of you guys still here and doing well. For those of you who are new or don't remember me, I started keeping bees about 13 years ago. I had about a 4.5 year break due to living in a restricted area. I have had several hives for about 5 years, but recently moved. Due to the distance and red tape, I sold my hive before I moved.
  So, I am starting over for the third time. I bugged MB alot last time, tried out some new stuff, battled the hive beetles, made some splits, etc. This time I am going with all 8 frame mediums. I was a little bit worried about getting bees, my usual supplier isn't selling bees this year, and I am sure you guys have seen the $150 price on the mail order packages. Friday one of my cousins called, he had a medium sized swarm about 50 feet up a pine tree, out on the little branches. So after work I drove 1.5 hours and then spent about 2 hours wrangling the bees out of the tree.
  Yesterday my cousin called, he pulled the branches out of the hive, and replaced the missing frames. They had drawn out some comb on the cover, and yippee, the queen was already laying. Now all that is left is to move the closer to where I live so that I can get them going without the drive.
  Sorry for the long post, good luck to everyone this year.

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Starting over again.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:24:33 pm »
 Sounds like a nice start for a returning hobbyist.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:40:38 pm »
Welcome back J Clark, glad you got some bees.   That seems kind of high, but then I have bought any in a while.  I usually catch some every year.  I haven't seen one this year yet.
Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »
Good luck back to ya. NE NC near Hertford Co?
Later,
Ray

Offline rwlaw

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:02 pm »
 Good luck to you also J!
Can't ever say that bk'n ain't a learning experience!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 07:34:41 pm »
Welcome back! :)

Offline jclark96

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 11:19:01 pm »
I was in Camden NC. My bees were in Hertford off of Body road. I forgot to update my profile, we moved to the Lower Alabama area. Yeah, I was shocked when I looked into buying bees. 5 years ago a three pound package was $65. I had already sold my hives, and bought the new equipment, so I am glad to have bees again.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 07:59:26 pm »
Lower Alabama, that's Pensacola, Milton area.  I'm down in that area every few months.

Joe

anything