Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive loader on trailer  (Read 13297 times)

Idahobeeguy

Hive loader on trailer
« on: September 09, 2004, 07:01:35 pm »
I plan to build a fifth wheel trailer trailer to haul bees with. I would like to build a loading boom to mount on the trailer that will load and unload the hives. I am not to the point where the cost of a bobcat loader is justified. Having searched the internet for several hours, I have only found booms that will lift one hive at a time, instead of an entire pallet as I had hoped for. If anyone could point out a good design of a boom or lift mechanism that they have found I would appreciate it.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 08:30:54 pm »
Sorry,  I don't have any links for you,  but do have a question.

How do you plan on moving the pallets of hives to the trailer?  I would think that most designs you have seen are for single hives because that is how they are moved to the trailer.  If they are being moved by the pallet load,  they are probably loading them with the same thing that they are moving them with (i.e BobCat).
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Idahobeeguy

Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 09:42:08 pm »
You are correct, most of the loaders I saw were for single hives. I was hoping to find a design in which the boom was sturdy enough to support the weight of 4 colonies (which I know must be a fairly sturdy boom, given the weight of even a single colony). If such a boom can be built affordably, I would load and unload the pallets with the boom by placing them as far from the trailer as the boom would reach. I may have to move the trailer a few times in order to place the pallets where I want them, or to pick them up for loading.

Anonymous

Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2004, 11:37:17 pm »
I've also been looking for a boom design capable of lifting a pallet with four hives on it and have not come up with anything yet. Like you I can't yet justify the cost of a bobcat.

If you come up with something I would appreciate your posting it on the forum.

If I don't find anything by next spring, I guess I'll just have to get the old calculator fired up and come up with my own design.

Offline beesharp

• House Bee
    • http://sharptelco.com
Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 08:33:11 am »
http://www.varsitor.com/ <--Ez-Loader advertised in the Bee Mags

I spoke with these guys (from Australia) and he did mention that they
have a model for pallets of bees.
Jim

Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004, 01:34:20 pm »
An inexpensive method is to use an overhead beam which extends off the back of the trailer. Use an electric cable hoist on a beam trolley and you can lift from the ground and roll the pallets along the length of the trailer.

Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2004, 01:34:51 pm »
An inexpensive method is to use an overhead beam which extends off the back of the trailer. Use an electric cable hoist on a beam trolley and you can lift from the ground and roll the pallets along the length of the trailer.

Idahobeeguy

Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2004, 03:36:54 pm »
Thanks for the information. I think I am going to pursue this idea further.

Offline Horns Pure Honey

• House Bee
Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2004, 09:39:36 am »
I have a question, what do you need a honey trailer for? Is it just used to move the hives, frames, to your honey room or to a local farm for pollination? bye
Ryan Horn

Offline 1frozenhillbilly

• House Bee
Hive loader on trailer
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2004, 10:47:13 pm »
I've seen construction sites use a set of forks that hook directly to the cable of a crane or boom truck to lift pallets to roof tops mabey something like that on sn electric hoist would serve.
vegetarian???  isn't green stuff for growing meat?
I'm now KL4GU general ham

anything