Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Another newbee from California  (Read 2632 times)

Offline GravityKills

• New Bee
Another newbee from California
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:18:38 pm »
Hello!
I guess I should intorduce myself....

My name ia Anna, and I am in Northern California. By trade, I am a taxidermist, and I work part time in an office sitting behind a computer. The only good part about that is it gives me the time to sit online and read a lot.

Been facinated with bees since I was in 4-H many many years ago, had a friend who did beekeeping with his dad. Well, about 25 years later, I am giving it a go. I have been reading, researching, and buying all my equipment and stuff over the last 6 months. I am ready to put it all together and get the bees themselves. I am so glad to find this site, I have much to learn. Hope to meet some great people and get all the info you can give!

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
Re: Another newbee from California
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »
Hello and Welcome Anna
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:24:04 pm »
what a great trade!  if you go into your profile, you can put your location, etc.  this will help people give you more area specific answers to your questions.  you'll also get a better idea about other beekeepers in your area.

as soon as you have enough posts to be able to post pictures, i want to see some pics of your work!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline GravityKills

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 09:06:22 pm »
Thank, everybody. I cant wait to get started with my first colony. Have ordered all my equipment, some here and there. Everything needs to be put together. I have found a few places, all within an hour or so from me, that sell the bees themselves. Really want to do the comb honey, and have the Ross Rounds all set up. Not looking foward to getting stung, though... ;)

Yeah, I love my taxidermy. Not too many of us, women in Claifornia who like to "play" with dead things... guess thats why I am still single. :-D I just won several awards at my state taxidermy show two weeks ago, and may travel to Oregon to show in their state competition.

I also raise lots of animals, horses, exotic pheasants, quail, and even fallow deer. Bees will fit right in there....

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:32 pm »
Welcome aboard.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »
Anna, welcome to our forum, great you found us. This WILL be a place where you will meet some great people, make some new friends, a place to tell us your stories, tales and experiences, and ask questions, there will be much to learn.  You are up to some interesting stuff in your life.  Stick around, we love new members.  Have a great, most wonderful day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 09:33:20 pm »
Anna, welcome to the forum. You are an interesting lady and I can't wait to get to know you better.
I can't imagine why you are still single either, you must get all kinds of hunters coming in to have their trophies stuffed. Maybe you are shy or not picking up on their signals ;)
So, gotta get those bees since you are all ready.
I did the same as you, researched for over a year and started getting my equipment last year and just got my first bees last week.
Its good to take your time and feel prepared.
You will find so much information here that you won't have to worry about not knowing anything about anything to do with bees.
The folks here are the nicest around.
Please order your bees right away so that you don't miss out. Places sell out early and I would really hate for you to be disappointed.

Offline GravityKills

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 12:48:16 am »
Well, got my bees ordered and they will be here May 2nd. I painted my hive, looks all nice and clean. I cant wait to get them bumbles in there!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I will be around, reading and learning!