Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee candy placement question:  (Read 4344 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
bee candy placement question:
« on: November 18, 2012, 08:32:52 am »
just lay the piece on the frames? 6x10 piece to big?

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: bee candy placement question:
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 01:27:29 pm »
Yep, just laying it on top of the frames is fine.  Add a shim if you have to.  6x10 should be fine.  

I decided to use some honey balls for emergency feeding in my little mating nucs.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 02:09:35 pm »
Just try to get the food right over the cluster.  On top of the frame bars. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 03:12:42 pm »
Yep, just laying it on top of the frames is fine.  Add a shim if you have to.  6x10 should be fine.  

I decided to use some honey balls for emergency feeding in my little mating nucs.

Have you gotting one of thees little mating nucs through the winter in Michigan ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:23:23 pm by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline d_fixitman

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:51 pm »
If gets these through the winter it will make me feel better about my five frame deep nucs in KY lol.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »
If gets these through the winter it will make me feel better about my five frame deep nucs in KY lol.

Mike Palmer of French Hill Apiaries, St. Albans, Vermont. Does it on 4 deep frames nucs.

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 05:45:52 pm »
Never overlook Mountain Camp method of feeding.    Dry sugar is easier to make than candy.   And in the spring, I just mix the leftover with water to feed swarms.   1 sheet of newspaper over the top of the cluster and pour away with dry sugar right out of the box.  You can spray the top down a little if you want.   I am getting lazy the past few years and have not.  The sugar soaks up moisture out of the hive.   Works just fine for lightweight hives during the winter. 

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 07:48:36 pm »
Never overlook Mountain Camp method of feeding.    Dry sugar is easier to make than candy.   And in the spring, I just mix the leftover with water to feed swarms.   1 sheet of newspaper over the top of the cluster and pour away with dry sugar right out of the box.  You can spray the top down a little if you want.   I am getting lazy the past few years and have not.  The sugar soaks up moisture out of the hive.   Works just fine for lightweight hives during the winter. 

i did dry feeding last winter with good results

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 08:49:11 pm »

Blue, I think we need the recipe for your honey hail stone-balls, so give it up! :th_thumbsupup:

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 09:04:00 pm »

Hope this help you.
I have use this for the lasts 3 years at works will for me

http://www.beverlybees.com/i-want-candy-so-lets-make-a-candyboard-for-winter-feeding/

http://www.viddler.com/v/4169aac7

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 09:14:58 pm »
Blue, I think we need the recipe for your honey hail stone-balls, so give it up! :th_thumbsupup:
LOL :laugh:  OK......what I like about honey balls is they are very easy to make (no cooking, limited mess), they never fail to harden like candy can, they aren’t going to fall to the bottom of the hive like sugar could, I can toss in some more if the bees are getting low, and they might be more healthy for the bees than pure sugar (assuming you’re using your own honey, or a known good source). 

Get yourself a bowl of sugar, your honey, and a spoon.  Get a goob of honey on the spoon and dip it into the sugar.  Mix it around until the honey is no longer a gooey mess.  After getting enough sugar mixed in with the honey, it becomes kneed-able.  At that point, stick your paws down in the bowl and form it into balls, bricks, snakes, or whatever form you like.  I let them sit in sugar when I’m not using them. 

You don’t need a lot of honey to make the balls.  I figure the ratio of honey to sugar is probably about 1 part honey to 4 parts sugar. 

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 09:34:23 pm »
All is well and good as long this honey is ABF free,

« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 09:52:45 pm by Jim 134 »
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:37:56 pm »
Blue, looks easier than my ice cube tray bee candy. Plus, yours are made with real honey. No cookin :-D   After a few days my ice cubes were as hard as rocks.

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 11:30:43 pm »

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 12:21:35 am »
Now all you need is bees  :-D

Where are your bees?

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 09:03:39 am »
Honey balls!  I love it!  I'm making some up right now.  Thanks.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:05:46 am »

Offline adamant

• House Bee
Re: Re: bee candy placement question:
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:09:01 am »
I remove the frame feeder. going to stick some empty frames in to take up the space

anything